Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    Hi all, just got an '08 9-3 Aero SC and my sending unit is going nuts - drops to empty randomly, then goes back to correct level after a while. I've had a sender go bad in my '06 9-5 Sport (same part#). However, in this case, it threw a code as well when it started happening (P0089). Having done some reading, it can be an indicator of the pump going bad - but I haven't noticed any performance issues.

My question is basically if anyone thinks I should just replace the sender or the whole pump?

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Quote Originally Posted by ile2010 View Post
    Hi all, just got an '08 9-3 Aero SC and my sending unit is going nuts - drops to empty randomly, then goes back to correct level after a while. I've had a sender go bad in my '06 9-5 Sport (same part#). However, in this case, it threw a code as well when it started happening (P0089). Having done some reading, it can be an indicator of the pump going bad - but I haven't noticed any performance issues.

My question is basically if anyone thinks I should just replace the sender or the whole pump?
    It depends on the miles travelled. I had the fuel level sending unit fail on our two daily drivers this year, my '08 9-5 Aero in February time frame and the wife's '06 9-3SC in early June. The 9-5 had ~135K miles on the pump so I had the entire pump replaced. The wife's car had 80K miles so I opted to replace the level sensor only.

I am beginning to suspect low quality fuel since both failed within a narrow time span, and both cars have seen a steady diet of one particular low priced fuel for the past two years. Two failures within 4 months may not be a coincidence.

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
    It depends on the miles travelled. I had the fuel level sending unit fail on our two daily drivers this year, my '08 9-5 Aero in February time frame and the wife's '06 9-3SC in early June. The 9-5 had ~135K miles on the pump so I had the entire pump replaced. The wife's car had 80K miles so I opted to replace the level sensor only.

I am beginning to suspect low quality fuel since both failed within a narrow time span, and both cars have seen a steady diet of one particular low priced fuel for the past two years. Two failures within 4 months may not be a coincidence.
    It's just under 130K km (80K mi), so I'm doing the sending unit only. Thanks for the reply.

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Looks like this may have failed again

But, before I replace it, I was hoping to get some input. I just had the ECM replaced with a used one. Everything worked fine before it was replaced. When I got the car back, it wasn't working. Actually, upon startup, it quickly rises to what looks like the correct reading, only to fall back and light up a second later.

The new ECM came from the same year, engine, and transmission as my car, but mine is not XWD like on the donor car. I understand that the XWD models have a saddle tank with 2 sensors. Is it possible that the shop programmed the ECM wrong? Or is it safe to assume that this problem is directly related to the sensor? I've got one coming in from RockAuto, but I wouldn't mind some advice before I pay my garage to install it.

Thanks in advance!

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Bump please, anyone?

Had sender removed. Problem remains, there's a P2068 code stored (but no CEL). From what I understand, this refers to the second sending unit, which my car doesn't have as it's not XWD.

Do you know if this is a programming error or faulty ECU.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk