Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    None

Convertible Top and Turbo Boost

I am new to the forum. I am working on a friends 1999 9-3 convertible for her.

I have been troubleshooting the convertible roof. I found the shear pin for the tonneau cover to be sheared off. I have tapped it and replaced it with a brass 10-32 screw due to the fact that the shear pins are no longer available. I could not find one of the correct size anywhere I have checked. The roof now works correctly except the tonneau cover does not move far enough towards the rear of the vehicle when it is up/open. The front of the roof hits the front center of the tonneau either when I open or close the roof. I need to get out of the car an physically move the tonneau back about 2" to get the roof to clear. Is there any way to adjust the tonneau to open farther towards the back of the vehicle? Or is there a way to have the front of the roof not come as far back too avoid touching the tonneau?

I have driven the car and noticed that when I accelerate quickly the boost gauge maxes out at about mid scale on the dash mounted boost gauge. Is this normal? It seems as though I should feel the turbo kicking in more under boost.

Thanks In Advance For Your Answers.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OG 9-3
    Check the u-joint itself closely. They can be broken and not appear that way on light inspection. If the replacement shear pin fits the hole well, and the u-joint is not broken, then I'd suspect a bent tonneau mechanism.

If the car does not boost properly (it should reach the edge of the red), start with basic tune: fresh NGK plugs, air filter, fuel filter. Replace all the small vacuum lines. See if that improves things.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    I just had the exact same problem with the tonneau cover. It was the result of an accident (a drunk moron hit me) my local Saab shop replaced the U-Joint and fixed the timing - total bill was $818! 99% of that was labor. The tonneau cover needs to be rigid when erect (sorry, couldn't help myself - LOL) but seriously, the U-joint must hold it all the way back and steady. My shop said that it was a busted U-Joint. Good luck!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 SE Turbo Convertible
    my top won't go down. the previous owner says that it's the fuse and pointed to a colorful rectangular module in a box under the hood, in front of the driver's seat. i don't see any fluid leaks so hopefully it's just an electrical issue.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OG 9-3
    You mean you bought a convertible with a non-working top and the owner said it was "just a fuse"? I'm guessing that borders on fraud.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    You mean you bought a convertible with a non-working top and the owner said it was "just a fuse"? I'm guessing that borders on fraud.
    it mattered not because i only paid $1k for the car.

picture share

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OG 9-3
    Looks nice. How many miles? That's not too bad, unless it has a zillion miles or the top needs major work.

You can check the fuses; there is one for the top computer. They are labelled. If you don't have a manual, try here: http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...-Saab-9-3M.pdf. Looks to me like Fuse #23 in the passenger compartment (driver's side of dash, open door to access). Fuse #23.

Does it do anything at all when you unlatch it and pull the open switch?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Looks nice. How many miles? That's not too bad, unless it has a zillion miles or the top needs major work.

You can check the fuses; there is one for the top computer. They are labelled. If you don't have a manual, try here: http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...-Saab-9-3M.pdf. Looks to me like Fuse #23 in the passenger compartment (driver's side of dash, open door to access). Fuse #23.

Does it do anything at all when you unlatch it and pull the open switch?
    thanks for the link..... i'll check 'fuse 23' asap. i haven't done anything but remove the ABS module and send it to an ebay dude for 'a-fixin'. after i fix that, i'll look at the top... the car has just over 100K I THINK. runs great. for $1K i had to buy it. when i get that ABS module installed, i'll attack the top and post my results.

thanks!
    tim