Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 9-5 Aero.. auto :(
    alright so here is what the mechanic is doing. New valve cover gaskets, new head gaskets, new timing cover gasket, new oil pan gasket, new rear main seal, new crankcase seal, etc etc. I think legit every seal/gasket is being replaced, as they all were leaking very little oil according to him. I'm happy that they are all being done. He will also be cleaning the oil pan, and either cleaning or replacing the PCV.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 9-5 Aero.. auto :(
    car was fixed, turns out it was just the valve cover that was leaking. However, everything else was also replaced since the engine was apart.

I'm actually selling the car now. If I can get a good price, I will take it. I just miss having a manual transmission too damn much!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    A re-torque of the head can also sure the timing cover leak. I had to have this done on my '06 a few years ago.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    That's more if you have a seepage @ the lower right corner of the head it slows that down. It won't really fix a timing cover leak...
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Common issue - cover does NOT have to be removed to fix.
    Leak is located at the rear of the cover just below the t-chain tensioner. It is leaking from the cover.

Support the engine with a jack (and black of wood)
    Remove the upper engine mount "U" bracket.
    Gain clear access to this area. Clean very well with brakleen and scotch bright pad.
    Using a heavy grit sand paper sand this area to scuff it up good. You may have to remove the tensioner to get good access.
    Clean again with brakleen and ensure the area is dry and free of oil.
    Mix up some original J.B. WELD and apply over the timing cover and the engine block area.
    Let the car sit over night!
    Reassemble everything and fire it up - recheck and the leak should be 90% to 100% fixed.

If for any reason you need to pull the timing cover the J.B. WELD will break off when needed.

I need to do this repair to my father's (was our) 2003 9-5 Wagon. I learned this trick from Harvey. LOTS of Saab's leak from there.
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm battling a leak in this same area and haven't been able to find more information about this fix.

It seems that my oil leak is from the general area you're describing, but do you mean that the leak comes from the top of the timing cover near the cylinder head, or does it come from the three-way junction that is the head/block/timing cover? Mainly I am just wondering where to focus the jb-weld.

For reference I have a 2007 9-5. I've already replaced the tensioner seals and fixed all the other leaks. The picture below is from before I cleaned everything up, but after cleaning and a little driving I can see oil forming again in the area circled in red.
    Last edited by Crisco; 08 September 2016 at 03:17.