Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 9-5 Aero.. auto :(

2002 9-5 Aero with timing cover leak. 82k miles.. help?

Just bought an '02 Aero automatic wiith only 82k miles on it for 3300 due to an oil leak. I've found out that it is timing cover leak. I've also familiarized myself with the importance of the PCV upgrade. If mine is the original PCV, would replacing that stop the leak, if the crankcase pressure is brought back to normal? I'm not sure if it has been replaced, but I'm just wondering. Also, if I do replace the PCV, will I HAVE to totally fix the timing cover leak, or will like re-torquing the bolts fix it?

Like, what even causes the timing cover to even start leaking in the first place? I had a shop quote me for 2500, which I just said no to right away. Since this is such a low mileage saab, I will pay up to $1700 to get this fixed. that is a price that I can talk a mechanic into doing, isn't it?

I dont' want to get rid of the car, because honestly, it runs amazing. The leak isn't insane, but overnight, it will leave like a palm-sized oil leak.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Common issue - cover does NOT have to be removed to fix.
    Leak is located at the rear of the cover just below the t-chain tensioner. It is leaking from the cover.

Support the engine with a jack (and black of wood)
    Remove the upper engine mount "U" bracket.
    Gain clear access to this area. Clean very well with brakleen and scotch bright pad.
    Using a heavy grit sand paper sand this area to scuff it up good. You may have to remove the tensioner to get good access.
    Clean again with brakleen and ensure the area is dry and free of oil.
    Mix up some original J.B. WELD and apply over the timing cover and the engine block area.
    Let the car sit over night!
    Reassemble everything and fire it up - recheck and the leak should be 90% to 100% fixed.

If for any reason you need to pull the timing cover the J.B. WELD will break off when needed.

I need to do this repair to my father's (was our) 2003 9-5 Wagon. I learned this trick from Harvey. LOTS of Saab's leak from there.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    thanks for the input Burnsside! After being rejected by 2 shops (1 because they said 2500, just so I would leave becasue of the absurd price since they like doing quick fixes. And the other because he was saying that "i dont have the tools to work on a saab, it is completely different and requires special tools..")

I went to an indie shop which specializes in foreign cars, and I talked to the guy. He said that there is nothing different about working on a saab lol, and that replacing a timing cover and fixing the leak would be around 600, plus a new pcv would be 200. This all seemed more than fair to me, as I've read online that these jobs can go up to $2k. I mentioned the concept that that engine has to be dropped, and he looked perplexed. He said it doesn't need to be. So, I guess that's why it'll be costing cheaper, since he opts to not drop the engine? I'm also taking his work, since he said he's owned 7 Saabs..

Also, is there any other location where oil could leak from, where it would cost more to fix than a timing cover? Valve cover gaskets are def cheaper, maybe head gaskets are more expensive? Although i doubt it's that as there is no other symptom to lead me to believe that it could be bad hg's.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Alright so here's THE update. The owner of the shop called me back, and he gave me bad, bad news. He said the oil is leaking from where the timing cover meets the head + block + oil pan. I'm having trouble even imagining how that is possible, but I'm sure I'm just not describing it too well. The guy is very knowledgeable. He quoted me for 3 days of work, and $2100-$2400. He realized that for this, the engine would indeed have to be taken out. This really sucks, as I don't have that money to get that job done. The quote included getting new headgaskets (+resurfacing the head), checking the timing chain and tensioners and replacing them if needed, getting a new timing cover, and one or two other things which one would check while all of that is taken apart anyways. So that's why there's a price range, because the chain and tensioners are all probably good and won't need replacing, so their parts cost will be deducted. I'm screwed. It's only at 83k miles, and he was complimenting how ridiculous clean the car is and how well it drives. It's a shame that there is this massive problem lurking in the engine bay. I'll be checking the oil on a daily basis until I figure out who/where to take it to.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Not to bash on the Saab guy who checked your car out - as I've not seen it, but I doubt it requires that servere service. Oil Pump Seal and Crank Seals leak often. This is a 2 hour job max and about $30 max of seals. The reccomended fix for your timing cover would likely work fine. This would be time + materials. Valve cover gasket may be leaking as the timing chain tensioner seal. With all these items in good order and the latest PCV kit - the only other item to leak would be the Oil Pressure Sender on the back of the engine. Given the oil pan and the real main seal don't require attention... The oil pan is not a major job either. The rear main requires the transmission to come out. At no point does ANY of this work "REQUIRE" the engine to be removed. Some just prefer to do it that way cause they don't feel like doing it in the car. And what does owning 7 Saab's have to do with anything? I've owned 13! I currently have 5.... so what? My cars are all cars someone else didn't want to fix and sold cheap b/c they couldn't afford to fix them. I would like to own another 9-5 wagon - so let me know if you wish to part with yours
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Yeah, see, I took it to a third and final mechanic, and he too recommended just fixing the crack in the timing case - granted there is one - with some JB weld or something similar. He also said the engine won't need taking out. I also emphasized my desire to get a new PCV valve put in, but he said that based off of his inspection, it seemed to be working fine. He was saying that usually just cleaning it is good enough (although i said that saab confessed themselves that they used a bad pcv). I also want him to drop the oil pan to inspect for sludge, and clean it out if there is any. I should definitely emphasize, right, that checking for sludge is extremely important?

I'm theorizing in my head that, if the leak is fixed, and there is no more excess pressure built up in the crankcase, then there is no reason why another leak should show up? I will be changing the oil with full synthetic every 3-4k miles, just like every car I have owned before.

P.S, my 9-5 aero isn't a wagon haha sorry

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Why don't you just take it over to Bunssides shop????????????

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I had no idea he has one???? It's too late now, but if something isn't right with the car when I get it back either tomorrow or friday, I definitely will! I have no idea where Burnsside's shop is located though

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giosoccer20 View Post
    I had no idea he has one???? It's too late now, but if something isn't right with the car when I get it back either tomorrow or friday, I definitely will! I have no idea where Burnsside's shop is located though
    I work @ Fred Beans Saab (Doylestown PA - Bucks County) - what's left of it anyways. If you bring it here the service drop off is the Cadillac/GMC/Buick building - just request that I work on it and I will ensure it's fixed correctly.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    oh okay cool. can you give me an estimate as to what you would charge for your fix? including the pcv upgrade/replacement and cleaning out the oil pan if there is sludge? you can shoot me a pm if you want, doesn't matter to me.

btw, the night panel option on this forum is the coolest thing haha. only saab guys would understand...