Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Phil D
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 linear

Oil leak

So when I left for work yesterday I noticed I have an oil leak. A decent size one too. I checked my oil and its showing over the max line, like there is oil up in the tube the dip stick slides into. So then I got under my car a bit to see where it was coming from, and it seems to be to the right of where the oil pan is... I got my oil changed 2400 miles ago and haven't had a problem until now. Is it a possibility that there is too much oil? I have an appointment tomorrow at the saab dealer, but is 45 minute, 29 mile drive. Any suggestions or what I might be facing as far as the problem, and money wise? the oil spot on the pan is not wet, the wet oil is the spot in the 2nd picture,(to the right of the exhaust) but from the drip it looks like it would be from the pan. Any help is much appreciated.
    Name:  car oil 1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  43.9 KBName:  car oil 2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  41.0 KB
    Last edited by Pdelong514; 26 June 2013 at 14:56.

Phil D
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 linear
    I'm at the saab dealer and said it might be the rear main, which in tails taking out the transmission they said. they are going to run dye thru the engine... If it was the rear main would this be something any mechanic could do? I just think I could probably get this done cheaper somewhere else, but the dealer would probably be the most qualified.. Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Phil D
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 linear
    So it was in fact the vacuum pump. I've found them online for about $250, and not sure if this is a task I could take on myself. Doesn't look like there is much to it and would save me some money. Any recommendations on where to buy parts, and if this isn't something I should try myself?