Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Burnsside - I didn't think mine was broken, but my tech said it was. How do you know without removing it? What is there to look for? thx!

Hi, I have the same problem with my SAAB 9-3 and have been told that i need part 4927976 and have been waiting 4 months for my mechanics to get the part.
    So i have decided to do it myself and order the part online and with some help fit it myself.
    Whats the point of having a convertible that doesn't convert !
    So i just want to know were you able to fit the part successfully?
    Thanx

Hi Michelle, my issue that a pin was missing (probably broken).

If you look at this photo: http://saabworld.net/attachments/f7/...808_133913.jpg
    You'll see that at the top you see a pin sticking out, the one at the bottom is missing there. I went to a garage and they machined a new pin that fit's exactly and now it works fine.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by rkorebrits View Post
    Well, you've seen the photo's. Doesn't seem broken..?
    Being as the sher pin is under that rubber seal it's hard to see in the picture if it's broken. The other pivot pin does not look like it's installed properly either. Sticking out too far. Should be near flush on BOTH sides.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Being as the sher pin is under that rubber seal it's hard to see in the picture if it's broken. The other pivot pin does not look like it's installed properly either. Sticking out too far. Should be near flush on BOTH sides.

Just to make sure you guys see what was fixed on my car I re-uploaded 3 photos and circled the issue. It was not the pin under the rubber ring.

And indeed, the other pin was sticking out too far :-)

Name:  saab1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  28.1 KBName:  saab2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  24.5 KBName:  saab3.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  21.3 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 SE Turbo Convertible
    can you upload a pic of the location of that u-joint in relation to the vehicle, please? i'm having the same problem...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 Convertible
    Wow, this is a great discussion. I hope some of you folks are still here. Same problem but need to go on a four day trip with car before time to fix. I notice the cover is opening slightly less and less and now the top catches on the way up and down. Am I hurting anything using my vert? I just get out and slightly pull the cover to uncatch the top. Don't want to do further damage. After the top is free, operation is perfect. THANKS baldfield@aol.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfield View Post
    Wow, this is a great discussion. I hope some of you folks are still here.

i'm here..... try adding some hydraulic oil to the reservoir behind the rear seats. also check the u-joint as illustrated. my guess is that you need fluid. there's a tutorial on youtube on how to add fluid. you'll have to google it.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 Convertible
    Thank you. Quick reply. I will get to the mechanic when I get back. The operation flows well (I remember how it sounded when low) but we will check. Do you think I am hurting anything using it anyway? I know I am asking a crystal ball question but I can't see how I am.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    i can't imagine how you'd hurt anything by using it. either you have a bad u-joint (as illustrated above) or you are low on fluid. also check to see if the hinges need lubrication. do the easy stuff first...