Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan

2003 Saab 9-3 sedan - Steerling Wheel Malfuntion - Key wont turn

Hi

Couple of weeks ago i had an issue with the steering wheel malfunction error and the car wouldn't start. The key wont turn at all. I did some reading and decided to change the ISM (ignition switch module). The ignition switch i purchased came with 1 key. After installing the switch the car started fine with no problems. After couple of hours it started giving me the same problem again "Steering wheel malfunction" on the Display. I got my battery tested by a professional mechanic and the voltage was good.

At this point the only way for me to start the car is to disconnect the battery for couple of minutes and connect it back and the car starts. After driving the car for a bit when i turn the car off and take the key out i hear a clicking sound near the steering wheel. And when i insert the key again the same error "steering wheel malfuntion" appears on the display and there is no clicking sound.

I have to repeat the entire process again in order for the car to start by disconnecting and connecting the battery. What could be causing this even after changing the ISM module and the battery is in excellent condition? Has anyone experienced a similar problem???

Thanks

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Your used ISm is likely just as bad as the one you removed. Open yours up carefully and clean all the contacts and reinstall that one.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Your used ISm is likely just as bad as the one you removed. Open yours up carefully and clean all the contacts and reinstall that one.
    I am going to try it on the weekend. I hope it will work.