Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 Convertible (x 2!!!).

Main Beam Orange relay

Quote Originally Posted by dj.si View Post
    Just wanted to add my thanks for the advice in this post!

I recently noticed that the left side high beam wasn't working on my 9-3, accompanied by the SID showing "Headlight failure". Of course I tried changing the bulb and checking the fuse, to no avail. A subsequent Google search brought up this thread, so I took out the relay and checked continuity on all 8 pins with a multimeter. I discovered that the pin on the far right (as highlighted in the image in wulf's post) had a bad connection, and so did pin 2 (counting from the left). Re-soldering them with a dab of fresh solder took barely 10 minutes, and so far everything's working fine again

I too have this problem but soldering is really NOT my bag! Are these relays difficult to buy / expensive? I am in UK.

This is my second 93 convertible. I am sure I have had a new loom on the last one when I had this problem. This forum is AMAZING. Wish I'd consulted it when my shop told me "can't find the fault"! Grrrr.

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3 SE 2.0T Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Suemax View Post
    I too have this problem but soldering is really NOT my bag! Are these relays difficult to buy / expensive? I am in UK.

This is my second 93 convertible. I am sure I have had a new loom on the last one when I had this problem. This forum is AMAZING. Wish I'd consulted it when my shop told me "can't find the fault"! Grrrr.
    I'm in the UK too (London). When this problem arose with my Saab (2002 9-3 Coupe) a couple of months back I did a lot of Googling for these headlight relays, but I could find no new ones for sale - only working used ones, primarily on eBay (and many of them in the USA). And in the forums I found quite a number of comments saying that buying these relays new from authorised Saab parts centres was expensive (more than £50 I believe). Admittedly I never phoned any authorised Saab centres to check because I found this forum thread about soldering them, so I decided to try that first.

However, in Watford there used to be a dealer called Viking Saab. Although I've never used them myself I've seen Viking Saab mentioned in various Saab forums, and from the forum comments they have a good reputation. Apparently they changed their name to Spire Saab in 2012, but kept the same staff. You might want to try contacting them to get their advice on the headlight relay, and/or find out how much a new one really costs.

"New" Saab service agent in Watford. Spire Saab.

Welcome to Spire Saab Watford | Spire Saab Watford

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Estate Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by dj.si View Post
    Just wanted to add my thanks for the advice in this post!

I recently noticed that the left side high beam wasn't working on my 9-3, accompanied by the SID showing "Headlight failure". Of course I tried changing the bulb and checking the fuse, to no avail. A subsequent Google search brought up this thread, so I took out the relay and checked continuity on all 8 pins with a multimeter. I discovered that the pin on the far right (as highlighted in the image in wulf's post) had a bad connection, and so did pin 2 (counting from the left). Re-soldering them with a dab of fresh solder took barely 10 minutes, and so far everything's working fine again
    +1!

Except, mine is a 9-5 and the SID said nothing. The problem was intermittent, and when the left side high beam didn't work, the dash indicator was off.

Thanks again, I was just about to head for an authorized shop.

Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 LinearSaab
    I have a question in this thread. I do not have the orange relay, is it the relay located in the R14 location on the under hood realy/fuse box? I have an 03 9-3 Linear that have been giving me " left low beam malfunction " on the SID. also the relay in question if it is the solders will it still make that clicking sound if power is fed to the relay from the battery? thanks for the help!

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    No, you don't have the orange relay, which actually is an electronic circuit card, hidden in a relay enclosure

In the event of current change in a low beam, the UEC detects the drop and a message is displayed in SID. You haven't told us whether the low (and high -) beams are Halogens or HIDs, and not specifically what / where the "clicking sound" is heard. However in case of HIDs you could as a start throw an eye upon: http://saabworld.net/f8/low-beam-failure-30309/

Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 LinearSaab
    Quote Originally Posted by 9-3 Aero View Post
    No, you don't have the orange relay, which actually is an electronic circuit card, hidden in a relay enclosure

In the event of current change in a low beam, the UEC detects the drop and a message is displayed in SID. You haven't told us whether the low (and high -) beams are Halogens or HIDs, and not specifically what / where the "clicking sound" is heard. However in case of HIDs you could as a start throw an eye upon: http://saabworld.net/f8/low-beam-failure-30309/

The issue is with the Left low beam light which I believe may be a HID light since it uses a H7 bulb and does not have the standard halogen look to it. Hi beams ( i assume are the same) are fine and so are the fog lights. the marker light on that side in the light housing is out as well. I removed the R14 relay and hooked 12 volt power to it to check and the relay opened and closed

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    I'm a little confused here, as HID is DS2 bulb / - socket and H7 refers to filament bulbs.

Engine bay fuse box (UEC) R14 is in your MY03 9-3 (supposed to) powering the washer fluid pump for the headlamps, and nothing else.

Fuse # 16 in the UEC is common supply for left side direction indicators, - fog light and - low beam light, so the fuse can be ruled out. The connector and plug of the light housing is common for all lights in it, so a contact problem could be in question here. To be checked, and cleaned / lubricated as necessary.

The bulbs in question is of course not burnt out?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 Convertible
    Must be something about the "left" high beam going first. Same on my '03, 9-3. Will be trying this today. One wondering..... My high beams are "sporadic" not just out. However, they are becoming more off than on. I may just try the cleaning first before taking the relay apart. Worth a try, I think, unless some of you think differently.
    Last edited by baldfield; 26 September 2014 at 12:32. Reason: rethought grammar

Saab(s)
    9-5 2,3 -05
    Perfect! Worked fine, exactly as described. Many thanks!

Saab(s)
    1995 900 Convertible, 2002 93 Turbo
    Cosmo,
    Thanks, took me longer to get the soldering gun to heat up than fix the board. My son's car had the same problem and the fix worked exactly as you said it would. His car wouldn't pass inspection with out the high beam. You are awesome.
    Matt

PS: WULF thanks for the photo, wasn't sure at first if I had the right relay.