Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by kurwa311 View Post
    Tried to get 22855181 with rain sensor - no luck, should we wait?
    Depends. Our windshield was so bad the car was unusable. We chose to go with the windshield without the rain sensor.

Bad news is it also disables the intermittent function. That's more of a PITA to lose than the rain sensor.

Anyone know how to rewire so the intermittent function can be enabled?

jack vines

Mine got a chip last week and cracked the next night. Dealer reports that rain sensor windshield is listed as unavailable, but sent off an email to find out more.

Anybody hear of any available parts -- hoping for the best. It's not bad now but who knows where the crack will go. Very difficult to go without intermittent wipers in Seattle area.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    With just over 56,000 miles, and the "normal" ageing of the windshield, I also got a few chips that are more visible. They are not deep, just on the surface but you can feel them, and Safelite wont touch them (they are not deep enough or big enough, they'd have to work with the windshield to make bigger for their epoxy/resin or whatever they "repair" with, and are afraid they will crack the windshield more in the process).

I'm afraid the cold, snow, freezing weather will make them bigger.

The windshield was, and still is, my biggest worry.

Question... There are two windshields for the 9-4x, Rain Sensing, and Non-Rain Sensing, right?

With the Rain Sensing being standard on Premium and Aero trim (and not an option on the Base), why aren't there more of these windshields available? Or is it that more Premium/Aero drivers have had to replace their windshields so the stock has been depleted faster?

Can the Rain Sensing windshield be used as a replacement on the Base cars that didn't have rain sensing? In other words, can Saab Parts, or Orio, or ??? concentrate on making Rain Sensing Windshields the only ones available?

I hate to ask this, but do we think Rain Sensing windshields will ever become available again?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

Can the Rain Sensing windshield be used as a replacement on the Base cars that didn't have rain sensing? In other words, can Saab Parts, or Orio, or ??? concentrate on making Rain Sensing Windshields the only ones available?

I hate to ask this, but do we think Rain Sensing windshields will ever become available again?
    My dealer called on Friday and told me that the Rain Sensing windshields are "on the dock in Sweden" and ordered my replacement. So it sounds as if Saab Parts did -- finally -- come through with the replacements. He said there was a new part number and the price was around $675, but they are definitely the rain sensor.

I'm pleased and planning on getting my 90,000 mile 9-4x recently cracked windshield replaced in February when the replacement arrives.

Saab Fan
    Either the Coast or Mountains of North Carolina
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD
    Not sure if they are actually in stock or not, but Saab USA Parts has the rain sensing windshield listed as available on their website for shy of $700 (Which compared to others $800-$1000 range isn't bad). I tried adding 5 to my cart, and it allowed me, which leads me to believe that if they do have them in stock, they have quite a few. I've been in the market for another car for my dad and have been looking at the 9-4X (Since we both love mine) and have seen many history reports with accidents. Not sure how I feel about that as it either means that some of the parts are on hand or that all of the parts have already been claimed (depends on if you are an optimist or a realist I suppose).

Here's the link for the windshield if anyone is interested Saab 9-4x Windshield

JNM

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Either windshield fits all models.

My guess is there were very few base models made and sold, so there hasn't been much demand for those windshields. Most of the cars are Premium/Aero, so that's used up the available stock and we're having to sub the base without Rain Sensing. PITA not to have the intermittent feature, at least.

jack vines

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X Aero, '07 9-3 Aero Conv, had 9-3 Conv (99) 9000 (86)

not the same windshield

Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    So no, the two windshields are not the same. A local glass shop ordered one to compare. The shape is very different at the top. The Saab curves back at the corners.

They are not the same, had mine replaced, SafeGlass could not find it, they had to order through Park Ave Saab Dealer in MAywood NJ

jack vines
    They are not the same, had mine replaced, SafeGlass could not find it, they had to order through Park Ave Saab Dealer in MAywood NJ

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Still none available. Guess we're doomed.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    I wonder if there is an aftermarket maker? There might not be because aftermarket companies look to make profit, not run a charity.

I wrote an article on auto glass when Saab production was ending. Lots of little details in the making of auto glass.

I wonder if any glass shop is willing to re-use glass from a scrapped vehicle?

If the 9-4X is insured is a cracked windshield considered a totaled vehicle?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    If the 9-4X is insured is a cracked windshield considered a totaled vehicle?
    We'll have an answer for this question soon. The KBB trade-in on ours is 12,000. I'd never be able to replace it with the same quality, mileage and uniqueness, so for that, I'd much prefer to keep it.

jack vines