Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X

Windshield same as SRX?

Just picked up a rock chip. Next hot day, it ran a crack across the driver's line of sight.

My local glass company says nothing in their data base.

Anyone know if the windshield is the same as the SRX?

jack vines

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I can't say with 100% certainty, but perhaps 95% sure they are NOT the same, judging from both cars profile pictures.

Apprarances can be deceiving, however, so the best way to check would be to head out to Caddie dealer that has an SRX, and check and measure them side by side.

I won't tell you how to run your life, but I don't understand how people who own a car that little more than 500 units exists in the world could be out driving them as daily drivers. I'd be scared of anything going wrong on these cars, if I owned one. I'd garage it and accumulate as few miles as I could. I imagine the Saab 9-4x will become the first truly collectible, future classic CUV, by the sheer rarity of the vehicle.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    Just picked up a rock chip. Next hot day, it ran a crack across the driver's line of sight.

My local glass company says nothing in their data base.

Anyone know if the windshield is the same as the SRX?

jack vines
    Try Saab of Memphis. I inquired a couple months ago and one of the types was available in the warehouse. After that, contact Saab Parts North America.

As for garaging a 9-4X, we have over 31K miles on ours and continue to use it as a daily driver. We bought it as our family CUV and have no plans to bench it. Besides, I'm "protecting" my 2010 NG 9-5 Aero and need something to drive day-to-day.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for all the help. The crack was so distracting, I just ordered one through Jaremko Nissan/Saab here in Spokane. It was $700 and will take a week to get here. At least it was available.

I won't tell you how to run your life, but I don't understand how people who own a car that little more than 500 units exists in the world could be out driving them as daily drivers. I'd be scared of anything going wrong on these cars, if I owned one. I'd garage it and accumulate as few miles as I could. I imagine the Saab 9-4x will become the first truly collectible, future classic CUV, by the sheer rarity of the vehicle.
    Over the years I had a friend who bought the last Eldorado convertible and another who bought the Corvette LT1. Both put the cars into climate controlled storage for twenty years and when they sold, lost money. Rarity does not always translate into profit.

jack vines

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Difficult to say with only pictures. They look similar from the front in these pictures. I guess the only way to find out is from manufacturer specs or actually measure the exact dimensions.

http://saabworld.net/f141/saab-9-4x-...pictures-2995/

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    I'm thinking they are different. To be honest, only the sunroof's glass panels have the GM logo. The rest of my windows have SAAB on them. This makes me think all but the sun roof panels are unique to the 9-4x.

Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    ....I won't tell you how to run your life, but I don't understand how people who own a car that little more than 500 units exists in the world could be out driving them as daily drivers. I'd be scared of anything going wrong on these cars, if I owned one. I'd garage it and accumulate as few miles as I could. I imagine the Saab 9-4x will become the first truly collectible, future classic CUV, by the sheer rarity of the vehicle.
    I would love to park and save mine, but I purchased mine to be driven daily, before Saab was done or I knew how rare these are. More importantly I don't have the spare cash to buy another vehicle (and insurance) so that my 9-4x can sit, nor do I have a place to store it.

Yeah, sure I'm afraid of something/anything happening to it. I know if it gets hit, I likely wont be able to get body panels to fix it. I'm worried about the glass and stone chips. BUT, I enjoy driving it.

Despite my fears, I still love driving my 9-4x, and I couldn't imagine having another vehicle. If I considered trading it in on something I wouldn't be afraid of driving every day, I don't know what that would be, as I don't like anything else as much that is on the market at the moment.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 19 July 2013 at 11:24.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Well, false alarm from Jaremko. The promised windshield didn't arrive, they didn't call to tell me and when I finally called today, they didn't have a clue as to why.

I'm going to find a glass shop which will order in an SRX windshield so we can measure and compare. It doesn't cost them anything other than some time and if it works, they get the repair.

jack viens

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    Thanks for keeping us updated

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    88' 9000 2.0i, 05' 9-5 Aero 345HP, 11' 9-4X Aero Hirsch
    windshields are the same as one US dealer told me

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    So no, the two windshields are not the same. A local glass shop ordered one to compare. The shape is very different at the top. The Saab curves back at the corners.

jack vines