Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    We'll have an answer for this question soon. The KBB trade-in on ours is 12,000. I'd never be able to replace it with the same quality, mileage and uniqueness, so for that, I'd much prefer to keep it.

jack vines
    After going on three months of incredible hassles with my insurance company, they say our low miles good condition 9-4X is going to declared a total loss because there are no windshields available anywhere in the world.

We'd much rather have the car drivable than the paltry payout, less deductable.

jack vines

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    This is an increasing problem for Saabs. Not much damage has to occur before the car is totaled. I experienced this for my 2005 9-3. My conclusion was that one should try to avoid having collision coverage because your own insurance company will be pressure you to have the car totaled, not repaired. If you don't have collision coverage, then you can deal with the other driver's insurance and have more clout in having the Saab repaired. If you have collision coverage, your own insurance will want to declare your car totaled. They may do so with repair costs equalling merely 65% of the value of the car.

Now this might even extend to not having comprehensive coverage (other than collision).

I wonder if, soon, classic car coverage, like Haggerty's will be worth it. On the other hand, they may require that the car be very old and not used as a daily driver.

My daily driver is a BMW 320i (F30) with a manual transmission. BMW 3 series are no longer sold in the US with a manual transmission. In Europe, only some diesels have a manual. Therefore, if I am interested in a manual, I must preserve my car as much as possible.

What else are avatars for? ;-)
    Saab(s)
    old: 9-5 2.3t SC from 2002, new: 2.8l "mexican swede" 4wd from 2011
    ... now I unfortunately also need (once again) such a "no longer available" windscreen ... crap!
    Name:  mist.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  91.7 KB

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Don't panic yet, I've fixed worst rock strikes with a $10 kit from the auto parts store. The chipped with cracks take practice and you only get one shot, so best to have your first one done by a professional and watch how it's done before you try your first DIY repair.

What else are avatars for? ;-)
    Saab(s)
    old: 9-5 2.3t SC from 2002, new: 2.8l "mexican swede" 4wd from 2011
    Moin ** Digger.

Yes, I've already been to the "Scheiben-Doktor(.de)" and had it repaired.

But they immediately said that the rockfall was actually too deep and too big and that I actually definitely needed a new windshield.

I have already clarified everything with insurance and my "SAAB-Dealer".
    But I did - as a precaution and for the probably very long waiting time - have the stone chip repaired (without guarantee) for the time being... so that the stone chip in the "ideal case" does not become even bigger.

**)
    "Moin" is Low German dialect for hello/hey/good morning/good afternoon/good evening/... :-)

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Gut tag mein heir, ich verstehe klein bisshen, nicht sehr good sprecht.

Don't know anyone in the glass business that would guarantee an invisible chip repair that has starred like yours appears to be, but a good repair should last longer than you own the car.
    Last edited by Digger; 09 April 2022 at 22:06.