Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5

Brake Vacuum Line - Help?

So, my dad was helping me by replacing the CBV with the heater hose bypass kit. A hose got broken, which I have determined to be the brake vacuum line. Tried to repair the line with parts from Autozone, but don't think that the fix is working. The car starts and runs fine, but when I try to drive, I only get a few hundred feet before the car stalls out.

Do I need to order the kit from eeuroparts? I hate that I have to wait almost 2 weeks to get stuff from them or pay an incredibly high charge to get it here in a week? Don't really want to be sitting around with out a car while I wait for the parts.

Suggestions or tips would be great!

This is the part that got broken:

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    SO what part broke?
    Do you have the check valves facing the correct direction? They only should work one way.... (I'm not sure which but they may be marked.)
    On my 04 Arc I broke the nipple going from the top right check valve. It's going to be a few weeks before I get parts shipped to Canada so I glued it back together with 2 part epoxy. (It was the tip that goes into the hose that broke. Not the valve it's self.)
    Hose and the T or Y should be easy to find.
    Most of the parts stores here (London Ont. Canada) are lacking in experienced staff. I have asked for a check valve and gotten a blank stare.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    Parts that broke:
    Part of the valve broke off inside the hose
    The "Y" cracked inside one of the other hoses

Originally attempted to glue the parts together, but they didn't stay. Didn't make it out of the driveway before the car stalled and when we opened the hood, the lines had come apart.

Not sure about the valve facing the right way, but I know that the valve is not the size the other valve was -it is smaller than the other one. Wasn't sure if the valve size had something to do with the amount of pressure needed to go through the lines? Found a Y piece at Autozone that can be cut to the size of the hose.

Thanks for your response!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I just looked at my 03 Aero and 04 Arc. The 2 top check valves point away from the Y in both. Here is a picture of the check valve I repaired. (I made sure not to plug the valve and scuffed up the hose and valve ends with sandpaper to help the epoxy stick.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    Thanks for posting this. I will see what I can do tomorrow. Got too hot out to work on it today. Texas heat is a killer!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I think I found what you need.
    95 1999–2009 Vacuum Hose Auto trans 4-Cyl 5331095 $43.65

From here. http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/Saab-9...s.html#linkbar

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    This happens pretty easy because the brake booster line gets brittle from all of the heat under the hood.

You can order one from rmeuropean.com also.

Or use some JB Weld like finding41 posted.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I found some new check valves while stumbling around the internet. That nice blue PVC hose too.
    Saab-Tuners.com ][ EVAP valve kit

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    Ended up ordering the part that I posted above for the brake booster vacuum line (the y shaped piece). The hoses were old and needed replacement anyway. Thanks for all your help/suggestions. Haven't had any other issues with it since.