Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

1990 Saab 9000 Turbo Carlsson in USA?

Did they import any of these to the USA? My buddy just traded for a a 1990 9000 Turbo (the guy said it's a Carlsson, but even if not, my buddy got the better end of the deal) and it came with the full color-keyed aero kit, but I'm not sure they ever imported any to the USA - What's the straight dope on these? Thanks.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I _think_ there were plenty of 9000 cars with color-matched Aero kits imported to the USA, but I think they were just called "Aero". Unlike the 900, which was available in the USA as the SPG, with non-color-matched Aero kit and in Europe with color-matched Aero kit with larger front and rear valance as the Aero or Carlsson, I think the 9000 only ever had color-matched Aero kits. I don't know if this is the whole story, but maybe someone with more expertise and working knowledge (Burnsside42 maybe?) can shed some light on this.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    The Carlsson was only sold in the UK, is teh car right hand drive? It could be just a car made to look like a Carlsson, as it was basically an appearance package.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    Car is left hand drive and the rear spoiler is wrong - I'm sure it's just an Aero.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Canada is our Europe of the North. There was a REAL one for sale on ebay not long ago I almost bid on. It was brought in through Canada and put into a garage for nearly 15 years. Are they here - yes. Are there only a few - most likely. Now that they are nearing the age requirement which allows them in the US more will start croping up (I hope).
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    Is there a way to tell with the VIN?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post
    Is there a way to tell with the VIN?
    Not 100% sure - but maybe 1. Saab VIN Decoder, Vehicle Identification Number Check - SaabVIN.com
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    The project so far.

We figured out it's just a 9000 Turbo 5-speed. The grill and front bumper cover were off, but they've been re-installed. Installed new spark plugs. Re-installed ridiculously-big after-market tach. All new motor mounts and trans mounts. New Crank Seal. Re-installed air conditioner compressor (still not re-charged - leak suspected). Waiting for new fuel pump (took a crap on Matt - a wrench - who was test driving the car after some repairs). Also going to re-do brakes and front axles. This car is going to be well-sorted once it's done. Big B wants to sell it (and I'd like to buy it, but don't have the room to store it or the dough to buy it). Maybe he'll decide he likes it so much he'll drive it for a year or two and THEN sell it.

That really kind of ridiculously large thing on the front is a turbo intercooler from a Mitsubishi Evo. The turbocharger unit is NOT stock. The car supposedly has about 280 wheel HP. Matt has driven it and says she's a little screamer. I suppose 280 isn't out of the question.
    Attached Images Attached Images               

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    Anyone have a silver 1990 9000 Aero fuel door they're no longer using....

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    Oh, the exhaust needs to be re-hung and plumbed. Right now, there is a simple down-pipe from the turbo - not sure of this has an effect on performance, but it sounds sick. The exhaust is held in place with bailing wire. New hangers will be gotten and installed.