Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Anyone who is near SEPA who has a 9-3 Sport Sedan MY03+ FWD who needs this repair - contact me. I'll do it for $150 As for you 9-5 MY06+ owners - I'll do it - but it'll be more like $250 because they suck. lol
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sport Combi w/ Sport Pkg
    Thanks again! Great forum.

Are you still offering to do the fuel sender repair for $150? i may make the trip from NY to have you do it at that price.

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    So I just got a call from the garage that's doing the safety for my new 2006 9-5 and I'm told that the fuel gauge shows full at start-up, then drops to zero despite the full tank of gas, which leads me to believe that I have this problem. On the other hand, the car's been sitting (indoors) for 8 months and I'm told that just running down that tank may solve the problem. Wishful thinking?

In any case, dealership quoted me C$1000 for a new fuel pump. That's simply out of the question when the only problem is a faulty gauge. They insisted that the sender wasn't sold separately. After reading this thread, I see that's not the case.

So the AC Delco part is fine to use? Looks like Rock Auto ships to Canada.

Thanks for the info! This thread is a money-saver.
    Last edited by ile2010; 11 March 2015 at 17:25.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Lets not run down the tank, that actually could damage your fuel pump from what I hear. The sender is indeed a serviceable item, I've got one in my trunk right now.
    The problem is, as we have learned is that you have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump to get to the sender.

One of my mechanics told me that if we go through all of that you might as well replace the fuel pump anyway while it is all torn apart. They also said that often after replacing just the sender the fuel pump will go soon after that anyway, perhaps not surviving the stress of being torn out.

Now, eeuroparts.com is stocking new fuel pump assemblies, these were hard to find for a while and if you did fine one you were paying over $800.

SAAB Fuel Pump Assembly 12757165 - Walbro TU324 - Free Shipping

$550 is still expensive, and probably 3 hours labor to do it all, so that still puts you around $800. (USD, not sure of the conversion.... well after a quick google that is right around 1000 Canadian, so yeah)

It would be a shame though to fix the sender only to have the pump break afterwards.

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMediocre View Post
    Lets not run down the tank, that actually could damage your fuel pump from what I hear. The sender is indeed a serviceable item, I've got one in my trunk right now.
    The problem is, as we have learned is that you have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump to get to the sender.

One of my mechanics told me that if we go through all of that you might as well replace the fuel pump anyway while it is all torn apart. They also said that often after replacing just the sender the fuel pump will go soon after that anyway, perhaps not surviving the stress of being torn out.

Now, eeuroparts.com is stocking new fuel pump assemblies, these were hard to find for a while and if you did fine one you were paying over $800.

SAAB Fuel Pump Assembly 12757165 - Walbro TU324 - Free Shipping

$550 is still expensive, and probably 3 hours labor to do it all, so that still puts you around $800. (USD, not sure of the conversion.... well after a quick google that is right around 1000 Canadian, so yeah)

It would be a shame though to fix the sender only to have the pump break afterwards.
    Thanks for the info! I wanted to clarify that I wasn't going to run the tank down until the car stalls, but rather to re-fill it when it feels like it's near empty (I could figure that out pretty easily). Has anyone that has had just the sender replaced had their pump fail subsequently? My shop will charge me only $160 for labour so paying that again doesn't seem so bad.

What about using an aftermarket pump like the Maptun high performance pump? Would I need to modify the car in any other way? I can get that one for about C$125 shipped, before duties. Would that automatically decrease my fuel economy during "normal" driving? I'm not talking about putting the pedal to the metal here.

EDIT: I see that the one you linked is the entire assembly. Is it the pump inside that tends to fail or is it the whole assembly?
    Last edited by ile2010; 12 March 2015 at 13:43.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    For only $160 I would probably risk it and hope for the best.

The high performance pumps as I understand it are more for tuned applications that also have updated injectors etc.. and WILL require some custom fitting, its not just a drop in part. Willing to bet it would decrease all the gas mileage.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Anyone who is near SEPA who has a 9-3 Sport Sedan MY03+ FWD who needs this repair - contact me. I'll do it for $150 As for you 9-5 MY06+ owners - I'll do it - but it'll be more like $250 because they suck. lol

Is this still a valid offer, Burnsside42?

I live in SE Ohio and would gladly drive to see you for the repair. (I have family in Bethlehem and Nazareth, so a visit is always in order!)

Will

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Name:  IMAG0017.jpg
Views: 2320
Size:  33.5 KB
    Name:  IMAG0018.jpg
Views: 2322
Size:  32.3 KB
    About this fuel level sensor:
    http://saabworld.net/f8/problem-indi...nt-fuel-28501/
    There are other manufacturers of this sensor, with another PART. №
    $35 - $50
    My brother lives in Stockholm and buy it from there.
    I'm from Europe.
    I do not doubt that for a price in the range $ 35 - $ 50 will be found in the United States.
    Success!
    BOBI
    БОБИ