Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan

Gas Gauge issues

Car invovled: 2007 Saab 9.5 2.3t

Recently, on the last 2 fill ups, when I fill up the tank completely and restart the car the gas gauge is showing as completely empty and the fuel light is on. After driving around 40 miles the gauge goes back to where it should be and continues to work just fine until the next fill up.

I had the OBD read and it showed this code

Type Powertrain - Manufacturer Controlled DTC - Manufacturer Controlled
    Description Evaporative emission (EVAP) pressure sensor/ fuel tank level sensor, in fuel tank - large leak detected/malfunction
    Cause Hose connection(s), wiring, EVAP pressure sensor, fuel tank level sensor

fuel tank level sensor makes sense since the problem is presenting itself with an incorrect reading on the fuel gauge. My gas mileage has not changed so I do not suspect there is any leak.

So what would be the recommended course of action here? I prefer to be a DIY kind of guy but if fixing this involves dropping the tank it will probably have to go to my mechanic.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Check out the documents added here: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-19...657/#post53450

It looks like the fuel tank needs to be removed.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Check out the documents added here: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-19...657/#post53450It looks like the fuel tank needs to be removed.
    There is no work around for this? I know for the 900, you can manage to go in from the top (below the rear seat) so you don't have to drop the tank.

After some searching to see if such a solution exists for the 9-5, it seems like it could be a baffle problem and your sending unit could be fine. Saabnet.com: 9-5 BB Post: Re: 9-5 Fuel Gauge Problem Seems to be a relatively common cause for your symptoms. Looks like you'll be dropping the tank, which doesn't seem like a small job. From another site...

1. Raise rear seat and gain access to the fuel pump under the cover.
    2. Unplug the upper connector.
    3. Drain the fuel tank (syphon?)
    4.Coax the non return valves and fuel lines away from the pump.
    5. Raise car and remove rear exhaust pipe section.
    6. Unplug the purge pipe using special tool number 8395261.
    7. Detach hoses to the filler pipe by undoing the filler pipe plastic screw.
    8. Detach both handbrake cables at the handbrake lever.
    9. Place a support under the fuel tank (pillar jack etc)
    10. Undo the front screws on the straps securing the fuel tank and lower it.
    Last edited by Shazam; 15 July 2013 at 15:14. Reason: Added how to drop tank
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 Sportcombi
    This problem began for me a few months ago. It started showing empty after filling up and would stay that way for 40/50 kms. Then 70/80 and now it just shows empty all the time.

I was told that it is probably the sender unit, but for the '06 and later models, the sender cannot be replaced on its own. It is part of the fuel pump assembly...almost $900 12757165 Genuine Saab - Fuel Pump Assembly - Free Shipping

Well, that's a lot of money for me. I've been tracking my mileage using my trip meter.

I have also heard of the baffle issue/solution. Could be worth a try...let me know how it goes and please post step by step instructions with pix...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sport Combi w/ Sport Pkg
    My 2006 9-5 does the EXACT same thing. I go to an excellent independent when I don't have the tools for something. My wife was in last and asked him, he said he has seen it before and quoted about $385. He said the sender is a newer design and serviceable on its' own, I didn't talk to him first hand though.

I have read about other similar cases where the rheostat that sends the signal to the gauge is dirty or has a bad connection to certain areas of the sender rheostat.

Has anyone here dealt with this? The sender 'should' be accessible from above on its' own, but that's where different sources have different answers.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    There is a sender that is available as a seperate part form the entire fuel pump

Fuel Level Sender (2003-2011 9-3 207L)(2006-2009 9-5)[22672171]

And its relatively cheap. I was hoping I could get this and have my indy throw it in for me and hopefully only be out a few hours of labor.

Over $800 for the OEM fuel pump is absurd. However Maptun has a high perf fuel pump for $150 High performance fuel pump - Maptun Performance So if I had to I would be dangerously tempted to try that instead.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    A/C Delco sells the sender for much less than Saab - you don't need to replace the green o-ring either. Saves you more money. Sadly you must drop your exhaust and the fuel tank. This job sucks because Saab never intended for the fuel tanks to be removed like a 9-3 Sport Sedan was. GM f'ed it all up.... Once the tank is down however it's a simple task of changing the level sensor.

Dorman # 911016
    AC Delco # SK1184 or 19121344

Rockauto.com has both in stock under $40

European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks, I had looked but for some reason couldn't find that particular part. The parts side is good news, the drop the tank part is a bit difficult in my garage at home.

Thanks for the help.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Excellent info, thank you very much.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks Burnsside 42, I looked up that AC Delco number and couldn't find it, I looked up rockauto also and couldn't find it, am I doing something wrong?