Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible

2001 9-3 with a P0340 Code

Hi all! Before my question - let me say thanks! I've posted on here a few times before. I bought my 9-3 last year as a fun car for me and the wife. Unfortunatley, the first week we had it out this year, back in May, we were sideswiped by a drunk driver. I am amazed the insurance company didn't total the car. Had they known that in the end their $2k estimate would end up being about $4.5k they probably would have! Anyway, I got a brand new rag top out of it and I had the entire top opening/closing issues resolved. The car was in the shop for 2 months!

So I just picked up the Saab from the shop earlier this week. We drove it around for a few hours and just as we were about to arrive home the check engine light came on! UGH.

When I bought the car in September it wouldn't pass the Virginia State Emissions Inspection. At the time several codes came up and I ended up replacing the DIC and the spark plugs. In the 10 months since then the car has only been driven about 800 miles. I am now getting a P0340 code. Do I really need to replace the DIC and the spark plugs again? I had put the recommended NGK plugs in and checked their spacing. The car still runs like a champ - no issues at all - except for that annoying amber check engine light on the dashboard. The DIC I bought was one of the $200 ones that I guess are made in Taiwan or someplace.

So - any suggestions? Is the car still safe to drive the way it is or will I damage it? I really don't want to have to replace the DIC and plugs every year, is this normal?

Again - THANKS!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    P0340 is an issue with the Camshaft Position Sensor. I would first pull the plugs and visually inspect them. If all looks good and you have the right plugs (like you mentioned), replacing the CPS would probably be the next step.

From the WIS:

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor. Malfunction.

Fault criteria
    - Ignition and injection have not been synchronized with camshaft position.

Fault handling:
    First, make sure that no trouble codes have been generated that indicate a faulty fuel-air
    mixture. Then, check the spark plugs.

Functions in the diagnostic tool related to the fault:
    • Diagnostic status for the diagnosis.
    • Camshaft Position Synchronized, unit ON/OFF.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Here is a similar experience with a 9-5 where replacing the DIC and spark plugs fixed the error code. http://saabworld.net/f9/cel-obdii-co...0-p0300-28148/

Did you replace the DIC with a new original OEM Saab?

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Thanks Frank - I saw the camshaft position sensor reported a couple of times, but the majority of the 'experts' on the internet all said that its the DIC. I'll check out the sensor and plugs and let you know if that resolves it.
    As far as the DIC I replaced, I got it from JC Whitney, it was like $150-$200. It is not an original SAAB part. But like I said I just replaced all that stuff just last September and have barely driven the car since. Crazy!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Honestly the JC Whitney DIC is going to be a constant problem until you get a OEM one. Carquest still sells them or get a used one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topless9-3 View Post
    Thanks Frank - I saw the camshaft position sensor reported a couple of times, but the majority of the 'experts' on the internet all said that its the DIC. I'll check out the sensor and plugs and let you know if that resolves it.
    As far as the DIC I replaced, I got it from JC Whitney, it was like $150-$200. It is not an original SAAB part. But like I said I just replaced all that stuff just last September and have barely driven the car since. Crazy!

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Thanks for the info Toxic - I had looked around when I bought it and it sounded as if it would be OK. Guess not.
    So this one would be OK? http://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs/s...0643?acesApp=1
    Just in case the link doesn't work - CARQUEST Ignition Coils By Wells,Part Number: 52-2117, Price: $301.34

Frank
    Saab(s)

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Thanks Frank. I just ordered a new camshaft position sensor today. Hoping to install it this weekend and see that CEL go away. Do I need to replace the DIC too with the P0340 code or just the sensor?
    Another question. Should I buy the eeuroparts.com DIC for $207 or the carquest one for $301? I'd love to not have to spend an extra $100.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Camshaft Position Sensor Fault - aka Po340 or a Knock Circuit Fault P0327 both mean the Direct Ignition Cassette is failing. Always be sure to run the proper spark plugs and check the gap.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Thanks but I am confused now ... I bought the 9-3 last August, 11 months ago. I replaced both the DIC and the Spark Plugs last September. Do I need to replace the sensor or the DIC and spark plugs again? Will replacing just the sensor possibly fix the problem?