Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    There is NO SUCH THING as a Camshaft sensor on a T7 Saab - it's all done via the Ignition Cassette. You won't get a fault code for a bad Crankshaft sensor ever. Just no starts.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Thanks Burnsside.

So, page 4A-13 of my Haynes Manual says: "The camshaft position sensor is integral with the ignition distributor, refer to Chapter 5B for details of its removal and refitting." and chapter 5 is all about removing the DIC. So, ok, the CPS is a part of the DIC. But if that's the case then what's up with this? 1996 2008 Saab 900 9 3 9 5 Crank Crankshaft Position Sensor | eBay
    and this, #16 - Cooling system, Coolant pump, Thermostat 6 Cylinder. Fits: Saab | Jim Ellis Saab Parts

Help me out here... (heading outside to pop the hood now)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    That ebay listing is for a crank position sensor which is not what Burnsside was talking about, he was talking about there is NO camshaft position sensor on the 4 cylinder motor.

Now for the DIC the one at eeuroparts is not a OEM version but the Carquest version is.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    There is NO SUCH THING as a Camshaft sensor on a T7 Saab - it's all done via the Ignition Cassette. You won't get a fault code for a bad Crankshaft sensor ever. Just no starts.
    The P0340 fault code was listed under the T7 engine in the WIS so that's why I assumed it actually had one. Without checking there actually is one in the engine. And it is easy to mix up CPS with Camshaft and Crankshaft Position Sensor. Sorry for the confusion.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Hi all - just an update. I took out the aftermarket DIC I bought and took out the spark plugs. The plugs looked just fine. I replaced the plugs, put some more dielectric grease on the tips of the DIC and put it all back together. The check engine light was off for a few days. It came back on two days ago and then when I turned it on this morning it was gone again.

Anybody need a camshaft sensor? - I now have one I don't need

I found this DIC on ebay for $150. What do you think?
    Name:  dic2.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  40.2 KBName:  dic1.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  48.8 KB

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Well the check engine light is still off (keeping my fingers crossed!) Anyone care to comment on this DIC that I found?

Bruce Richardson
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1998 900 SE Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Topless9-3 View Post
    Well the check engine light is still off (keeping my fingers crossed!) Anyone care to comment on this DIC that I found?
    Does all this hold true with the T-5's also? My 98 900SE is showing this P0340 code now also, The proper NGK plugs are only 4-5 months old. The car just turned 140,000 miles and I have no idea if this is the orig DIC or not.
    Last edited by Turbotogo; 04 August 2013 at 20:33. Reason: Add code

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    I would guess so - but I'd wait for one of the more experienced guys to weigh in.

-- in other news, my check engine light is still off! Unfortunately though, when my wife got home today, the top will not open all the way. The last piece, with the glass in it won't raise. I raised it manually, but the tonneau cover won't close. It will open all the way successfully, it just won't close. UGH. I love this car when it works, but its slowly beginning to drive me crazy in addition to draining my checkbook!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Convertible 9-3
    Hello I know this post is REALLY old but I have a Saab 2001 Convertible 9-3 and I have been having the same cam shaft sensor code problem! Every one keeps saying there is no cam shaft in this car at all and I'm kinda of stuck now. I dont know what to do! I have already gotten the DIC and my spark plugs replaced and in addition the crank shaft sensor. Please let me know if you can help me in any possible way. I would really appreciate it being that Its been almost a month into trying to figure this out.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Convertible 9-3
    Hello I know this post is REALLY old but I have a Saab 2001 Convertible 9-3 and I have been having the same cam shaft sensor code problem! Every one keeps saying there is no cam shaft in this car at all and I'm kinda of stuck now. I dont know what to do! I have already gotten the DIC and my spark plugs replaced and in addition the crank shaft sensor. Please let me know if you can help me in any possible way. I would really appreciate it being that Its been almost a month into trying to figure this out.