Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Viggen Convertible, Aero Sedan

2000 VIggen Convertible - Pistons & Lines Replacement

Hi Guys – I purchased my 3rd Viggen last March, but its my first convertible. Shortly after I purchased it the top stopped working and I went through the process of figuring out it was low on fluid, got the right fluid and refilled. It had some seeps in the pistons and the coating on the lines off the pump were starting to come off. I could see fluid on the lines themselves and on the floor in the area below the pump as well as in the sides where the pistons are. I’ve had to refill a few times a season to keep it running. I could hear when the reservoir was about low enough because id hear the beginning of the gurgling. The next time I would try to operate the top, it would stop so I knew when it needed more fluid. I’d also see the little puddle of fluid by one of the tires. I had no issues refilling to keep it going figuring one day id really have to deal with fixing the system. We’ll I think that day has come….

The other day, got to work, hit the top button, the deck cover opened and the top didn’t want to come up. It was different than other times. I turn the system off, manually drop the deck cover (done this before no problem) and waited to go home. When I left the office, I could see a large puddle under the back of the car. Different signs this time…. Got home and checked the reservoir and it was really empty. Filled it, ran the pump and the system pressurized. The top started coming up but I didn’t bring it up all the way intentionally. I just automatically closed and locked the deck cover. – system worked, although I didn’t see it go all the way up. I figured id keep it in the garage and bring the top up when I get to the office to minimize the up and down. This morning, I see a decent sized puddle in the garage under the rear of the car. Not a ton, but a good amount – more than id ever seen under by the wheel. Get to the office, try to up the top and no go. Deck cover came up but top didn’t budge. Deck cant automatically close so I manually drop it and now it sits in the warehouse. I did hear fluid dripping onto my exhaust though… I expect to see a large puddle of the rest of the fluid when I leave here today and I plan to get it home, refill, pressurize, bring the top up (if lucky), and lock the system closed.

Now I need to fix it… I think I'm gonna just go for all new rebuilt pistons and new lines. I think the pump is still good so I wont replace that. Lines are definitely going and so are the cylinders. Unless anyone chimes in with an ah-ha comment...

Does anyone know if either the WIS or Haynes manual has the procedure to do this outlined? Is one better than the other? I cant find a good link to download the wis online so a good link would be appreciated for the to review before I go ahead and purchase the manuals. Has anyone done this procedure before? How difficult and tricky is it? Any good techniques or tips to avoid issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There is a lot of information about the convertible top in the WIS so that probably your best resource. You can often find the WIS on CD/DVD on eBay.

Unfortunately, we can't promote links for downloads on SaabWorld for software that's not free.

Name:  9-3-convertible-wis.gif
Views: 120
Size:  24.5 KB

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Hi CK - I've got the Haynes Manual for the 9-3 98-02 and there is nothing useful in there about the procedure you are going to try. There's actually nothing in there about the convertible version of the car, even though it is prominently featured on the cover of the book! I'd recommend Frank's suggestion of buying a CD of the WIS. There are some other topics in the 9-3 forum that show some of the procedure that you are going to attempt. GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it goes.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    It certainly looks like a lot of info. ill give it a shot. thanks!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Great, thanks for the response. WIS it is...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Bad news, didnt go too well... Filled it, ran the pump back and forth a few times to fill the system, looked at the pump and fittings and didnt see anything leaking but the level dropped a good amount. Filled it some more, ran the pump again and then the pump stopped. the level is down again and nice big puddle under the back of the car. I think i just fried the pump. Nothing happens now... So now im just trying to get the top up and latched manually. I can get it up and the fronts latched down but cant get the back cover to lock itself down and the rear window latches to open up and lock the rear down. I'm not liking where I'm at right now... Any suggestions on how to get it all closed up so i can still drive it around while i get my repair plan together? Help!!!

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Yikes, I do not know if you can manually lock the top down. Hopefully someone else will chime in today and help you with that one.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    These are the instructions from the WIS but they are probably also in the owners manual?

Saab 9-3 - Soft top emergency closing.pdf

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OK, so maybe things arent as bad as i thought. Car didn't want to start this am as the battery was run low probably from my messing with the pump - didn't realize it took a lot of juice to run that thing... Anyway, jumped it with my wifes aero and the pump ran again. Didnt have time to try to refill and raise the top again so its manually down unlatched right now and back in the warehouse. Ill try again to get it to latch without resorting to the emergency procedure. I think i read something about manually lifting the top, lowering the decklid and the rear window section and hitting the button to open the locks, the pushing it down, hitting the button again and closing the locks. If something like that works, then ill be golden. Otherwise, that emergency procedure may need to come into play... Ill go through the whole rigamarole in the next few days and update.

Thanks for the procedure Frank. BTW, I see an aero wagon in my future as we've just had a new addition to our family. How's yours holding up?

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    You can buy a WIS from Schiff European Automotive Literature. At one time the owner told me he got the CDs directly from SaabUSA (even with Saab's ban on US retail sales of these) but I don't know if this is still his source. The WIS for my 2008 9-5 Aero that I bought from SEAL, and which includes the 2010 and 2011 models as well, didn't appear quite as 'Official' as the others. Properly labeled but the label wasn't as high quality of printing as before.

Price is reasonable and you get a CD for those future mistakes of deleting an important file, or when needing to load on a new computer.