Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Martin
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2.0T '00

9-3 Turbo catalyst falilure?

Hi. I recently got the fault P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank1)) Is that a common problem on saabs? And what are the typical symptoms of a catalyst failure?

Regards Martin

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I haven't had any experience with it, and it isn't that common of a problem that comes up too much in the Saab forums.

This is either one of two things. Either the catalytic converter is bad, which is rather unlikely unless you have A LOT of miles on your car. The more likely problem is that your O2 sensor is malfunctioning. It could be reading too high, causing the car to think the catalytic converter is bad. If the catalytic converter actually is bad, you'll most likely fail any emissions tests your country/state requires. The exhaust will smell worse than normal as well.

A shop should be able to tell if the catalytic converter is bad by hooking it up to an emissions scanner/tester. If you pass that, it is most likely the O2 sensor gone wonky.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Martin
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2.0T '00
    hmm. okey. is it normal to not gain more boost when adjusting on the actuator rod. ive adjusted few turns just for like 0.1 0.2bar more. but still 0.35 or so. ?

Martin

Martin
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2.0T '00
    Okei, now i have another question. the three hoses on the boost controller valve. where should they go. i think they are wrong on the valve. cant get any more boost what so ever... i even tried to disconect the hose to the wg completly. still 0.3 bar of boost?

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    My Toyota Sienna mini-van just had that same problem. Was hoping it was the 1st o2 sensor because that would only be about $500. But it was my first cat. With labor, it was $900 to replace. Hope you have better news with your Saab!

Martin
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2.0T '00
    Ive figured out the powerloss comes from when i get over 0.3 bars the throttle closes to prevent overboost and boost peaks. can i measure the o2 sensors? if so, what are the values?

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    It can be measured if you have the right equipment. I know the values for my Sienna. No idea what they are for your particular Saab. Maybe someone else might know? Maybe spending some time searching on google might provide you with an answer?