Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2003 9-3
    Thumbs Up:   0

Squishy brakes after new master cylinder

My 2003 9-3 Linear failed inspection due to spongy brakes. I had noticed they had gone a bit soft, so I assumed it was the master cylinder, and I changed it. After bleeding the lines thoroughly (the old fluid was pretty nasty) the brakes are still a little soft. I can't get the car to come to a jerky stop. The pedal is firm enough, but the car doesn't respond the way I'd like it to. And if I stop, then let the car roll 10 feet or so and slam on the brakes again, the pedal feels real firm but the car goes for another 5-10 feet. I'm pretty confident I bled all the air and old fluid out of the lines, so I'm going to rule that out.

I've read some things about brake hoses going bad, but I've also read something about brake booster vacuum hoses, but that might as well have been written in Greek. I'd like to be sure of the problem before I spend any more time on this.

Has anyone run into this?

0 Not allowed!

Kenneth D Langenbach Jr
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1997 9000 CSE
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Check your vacuum lines going to you booster - make sure you don't have any that are cracked, also your vacuum pump may have seen better days. Ken

0 Not allowed!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Thumbs Up:   3
    I bet the actual Vacuum pump is bad/leaking oil externally and everything. Common failure item on all Saab's. Master cylinder is not a common Saab failure item.

0 Not allowed!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com