Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 saab 9-5 turbo-4 manual, 2008 saab 9-3 aero xwd manual

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Stuck the car in heated storage for the winter. When I get a chance I will be back to it. Thanks for the info folks! I will repost when I make further progress.

Happy New year!

I finally got the ng 9-5 out of storage. I went to my local auto parts store and purchased a small assortment of springs. I added a spring to the top side of the brake pedal and found an attachment point on the steering column housing. I did this the past couple of days and I have left the car out in the hot sun and high humidity the past couple of days. This approach does seem to work; however, depending on the amount of heat and humidity applied, the spring tension may be a little soft. Still, it is a big improvement over the sticking pedal. I can always attempt to increase the spring rate (shorter equivalent spring). The only real way to test the work is to do it this time of year when the condition is at its worst.

What a joy to drive this car!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I had a similar problem, the pedal was hard first thing in the morning, and it turned out to be an ABS master valve block. The brake pedal should be returned to its normal position by the combination of the brake pistons returning to their rest position and the internal spring in the master cylinder. If that is not happening your adding a spring to the pedal isn't fixing the problem it is obscuring it, you haven't fixed it you have bodged it.

You need to get the system checked by someone who knows what they are doing and that will involve removing and, probably, overhauling the brake master cylinder.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)

Cool more brakes!

Thanks Geoff! I was wondering the same thing when this thread first began. The problem seems to have been attributed to the pedal box and others have indicated that changing the pedal box (or bushing) has corrected the problem. Pedal boxes for my model are NLA. I will say that with the helper spring attached, the brakes no longer drag. If the problem was within the brake MC, wouldn't there still be an intermittent drag on the brakes even with the pedal fully returned?

I will investigate further. The problem I have here is putting my car in a shop and waiting for Saab parts can be a problem. Maybe not. When I get the car safety inspected I can have the tech check then.

Thanks again!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Thanks Geoff! I was wondering the same thing when this thread first began. The problem seems to have been attributed to the pedal box and others have indicated that changing the pedal box (or bushing) has corrected the problem. Pedal boxes for my model are NLA. I will say that with the helper spring attached, the brakes no longer drag. If the problem was within the brake MC, wouldn't there still be an intermittent drag on the brakes even with the pedal fully returned?

I will investigate further. The problem I have here is putting my car in a shop and waiting for Saab parts can be a problem. Maybe not. When I get the car safety inspected I can have the tech check then.

Thanks again!
    I can't be sure without looking at the EPC but I would be surprised if the Master Cylinder were not a generic GM part and readily available. It is entirely possible that the pedal box is also a GM part.

Yes, if the master cylinder isn't returning to the rest position I would expect some brake drag but, it would depend on other things too. If the pedal is staying down there is pressure on the master cylinder so that too will result in brake drag. Yes the bushing on the pedal box may be part of the problem, and bushes can be replaced, I would want to be sure that the rest of the system was OK before going there.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I truly dislike taking shortcuts such as using a helper spring, but in the world of keeping cars going. sometimes we have to improvise. And, for now it is working. I am always open to investigating other options and your suggestion to start with the MC is a good one. I want it fixed and fixed right. I have purchased many used vehicles over the years and am always amazed how some things get worked around, even when there are available resources to make it right. As always, if I find another answer I will surely post it. The search continues!

Claus

Saab(s)
    9-5 II 2.0 Vector, 9-3 2.8 Aero Convertible
    Hi Saab-friends,

I have the same problem with my 9-5 NG, which I bought last year. When the car parks in the hot sun for a while the brake (or the brakepedal) does not go back fully, the brake lights are on and the brakes are braking.... you all know the shit......

@Fred (or any other) : do You have an picture for me, how You fixed the problem with the helper spring?

Does anybody fixed the problem in another way? changed the pedal or other items??

Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-5
    Hey jneilon, is there anyway you could send a pic or further describe how you implemented this so I can replicate it? Thanks