Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)

Question Location of check valve and pump to the rear wiper on the 2001 9-5 wagon?

I know Frank posted the WIS section on the washer wiper stuff, but it doesn't really show where the pumps and check valve is. I started to take the panel off the 5th door on the wagon, and didn't see how the upper plastic part on the interior was still connected, so I put it back together as not to break anything.

I do get fluid on the headlights and the windshield so the pumps is working. My rear stub moves, although I need to replace the arm and wiper itself (gone when I bought it). I see no liquid coming out anywhere. It seems pretty pointless to fix all the rear wiper stuff until I can figure out if the rear window juice works at all. Not super high on my list, but it is on the list.

Guess I'll check the valve (possibly the cheapest Saab part you can replace), then the tubes. I also have some random tube that is unconnected at both ends near the driver's headlamp. Possibly an unintentionally disconnected headlamp drain line or maybe the tube to connect the rear washer pump to the check valve. I guess the check valve goes bad? I just don't know as I can't find any diagrams or walkthroughs.

Where is the check valve and pump to the rear wiper on the 2001 9-5 wagon? If it is up under the left wheel well, can I get at it without taking the wheel off?
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The pump is near the washer fluid reservoir in the front. I updated the Wash/Wipe thread with this information: http://saabworld.net/f144/saab-9-5-w...1017/#post4274

I think you should be able to access from underneath the car. But you may have to remove the wheel and wheel well liner. Or the front bumper, according to the WIS.

The nozzle for the rear wiper washer sometimes gets clogged. Try to remove the black cap on the wiper nut and see if that's the problem.

Saab(s)
    Thanks for that Frank. I did remove the black cap and cleaned out the opening with a pin. no joy. The rear wiper arm was missing when I bought the car, so I'm in the process of sourcing one. I'm a little disappointed that it's such a big process just to get at the check valve and tubing. I also started to remove the plastic and carpeting piece on the liftgate to look at the rear washer tubing, but could not see how the hard plastic top was connected to the inside rear of the hatch -- it wasn't coming loose, so I put it all back together and lived to fight another day.

I'll also try to remember to post a photo of that random disconnected tubing. How long are the headlight drain tubes? If I had to lay this tubing flat, I think it would be around 2.5 feet+ From the looks of the WIS, it could be the tubing from that pump near the bumper, to the next junction or check valve. not sure. Seems like removing the check valve altogether isn't a horrible idea.

Looks like I should take some pictures of this if I get around to attempting it since there are none available anywhere else.
    Last edited by AT ONE SIR; 24 July 2013 at 16:52.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    The more I look at getting a replacement rear wiper arm, the more confused I get.

I get how the fluid gets to the opening in the motor shaft via the obvious pumps and hoses. I can also see how the cap redirects this flow out towards the arm. However I DON'T see how the fluid actually gets out to the blade area or even down the length of the arm. I've looked at pictures of the underside of the arm, and just can't see where it travels.

Since it's not the usual "nozzle on top gravity spray" that you see in rear window washers, how the heck does the washer fluid get out there? Is the blade a custom/special blade as well? In other words, if I find a used one, do I have to buy the whole thing, or can I just buy the arm and fit a blade that is spec'd by the manual or other Saab owners?

A video of the rear sprayer in action would actually be super helpful.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Fluid sprays up from the nozzle(s) onto the window. Not sure if there is one or two. The blade is not a regular front wiper blade but you can find them from Anco at Walmart. They have several different rear wiper blades for different cars. Or you can pay more and get the OEM Saab blade or get it on eBay for $10 shipped.

Info from the Anco website

Wiper Blade - AR-Series

Rear
    Part: AR-14D Per Vehicle Qty: 1

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Fluid sprays up from the nozzle(s) onto the window.
    Aaah, thank you Frank. I think I see now why the cap has a little slotted piece that allows you to adjust the spray onto the window. This certainly helps understand it since I have never seen it in action. I will buy a used OEM arm from Ebay and try the blade from there as well. Without a manual, I am always frantically searching for part numbers, sizes, etc. so this site has been a godsend. Hope I'm being a good member so far.

The next thing after the rear wiper is to figure out what are the sizes of the screws (gold color) that hold in all the stepper motors and vents, as well as a source for packs of replacement interior plastic rivets (tan color). I need to install a new blend motor but it arrived without mounting screws, but I do have an extra passenger side ACC (R) motor now to sell.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    Hey guys, I am slow of course, in this conservation. Rear squirter problem. Sound coming from rear washer motor (that is on the washer tank). I ran a paper clip down the rear squirter hole, went in about 4 inches. Kinda rusty and crunchy. Still no luck. I also put a brake bleeder vac on it hoping to force suck some fluid through, yup still no luck. Can the washer motor make a noise with no pumping? I see only one bolt connecting the tank to the car, probably one that I have to take the wheel and it's buddies off to get to the other bolt, eh? Thanks for any help you might be able to give,
    Last edited by Pali7; 28 November 2013 at 00:01.

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 2.3T Aero
    Hey guys, I'm having a issue where ONLY the driver side headlight washer isn't working! the passenger side headlight washer works fine even in this cold weather "-20C". any ideas? could there be a freeze plug on the driver washer fluid line? or is the washer nozzle and or motor? I've read somewhere that the washers are hydraulic so no motors involved!!!

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    Probably a blockage in the line that runs to just that one head light squirter. All the washer squirters are run off two motors, one for front and one for the rear. That is all I can add.

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 2.3T Aero
    makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I could just wait for the temperature to rise above freezing then try it again. any ideas on how to clean the line? or replace it?!