Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    I've got 33K on mine. I rotate with every oil change. I'm starting to get close to the wear indicator so I'm not sure how much I have left on them.

Does anyone know off the top of their head (I have to look at the exact model and codes on tire sidewall before I look on Michelin's web site) what the mileage rating or tread life warranty are on these Michelins? i.e. if they are 60K, and wear out in 30-40K can we do a warranty claim against Michelin for the wear difference and cost towards a new set of tires?

I liked how my stock tires ride and handle. With the tread worn as it is now, they don't grip as good in the rain, but I still like them. I've had good luck with the
    Michelin's I had on my other Saabs, so I'm considering sticking with Michelin as replacements on my 9-4x.

EDIT: my stock tires are Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Per Michelin's web site, they have a 55K mile warranty.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01 August 2013 at 14:47.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel H View Post
    I've got about 50K on mine, and didn't rotate as well as I should have -- don't have the tool to reset the sensor. I'm getting to the point of looking for some new tires, but I'm a little more satisfied with the OEMs.
    What tool do you need to reset the sensor?

Here's what I think is needed:
    Tool Number: EL-50448
    Price (USD): $70.62
    Tool Name: Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool
    For certain vehicles equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system, a "Sensor Re-Learn Procedure" must be performed after tire rotations, Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Module replacement or Tire Pressure Sensor replacement. This re-learn procedure can be performed by using special tool EL-50448.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel H View Post
    Here's what I think is needed:
    Tool Number: EL-50448
    Price (USD): $70.62
    Tool Name: Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool
    For certain vehicles equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system, a "Sensor Re-Learn Procedure" must be performed after tire rotations, Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Module replacement or Tire Pressure Sensor replacement. This re-learn procedure can be performed by using special tool EL-50448.
    I think there is a manual way to do this ... involves letting air out, reinflating, etc. I've read about it being done on a NG9-5, which is the same system as this. However, this might be easier?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    DOn't pay money for anything else besides a Yokohoma Parada Spec X

they are the best tires hands down for our cars (20" wheel)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    I've got 33K on mine. I rotate with every oil change. I'm starting to get close to the wear indicator so I'm not sure how much I have left on them.

Does anyone know off the top of their head (I have to look at the exact model and codes on tire sidewall before I look on Michelin's web site) what the mileage rating or tread life warranty are on these Michelins? i.e. if they are 60K, and wear out in 30-40K can we do a warranty claim against Michelin for the wear difference and cost towards a new set of tires?

I liked how my stock tires ride and handle. With the tread worn as it is now, they don't grip as good in the rain, but I still like them. I've had good luck with the
    Michelin's I had on my other Saabs, so I'm considering sticking with Michelin as replacements on my 9-4x.

EDIT: my stock tires are Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Per Michelin's web site, they have a 55K mile warranty.
    FYI Warranty means Nothing

Its all about driving style and proper inflation.

Michelin HP's are a waste of $$, I have a Point of contact at Discount Tire if anyone needs hookups

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    there isn't a place that lets you try tires out before you buy them, is there? to see what they handle and feel like?

I remember when I switched tires on my 9000CSE from Dunlaps which were terrible to Michelin it was an improvement. When I switched from the Perelli which wore quick on my 9-3 to Michelins that were similar to what I used on my 9000CSE (Both Pilot MXV4, and tread looked about the same, but not exactly the same Pilot MXV4), I didn't like them.

If it weren't for them wearing out so quick, I'd go back to these Latitude Tour HP's as replacements because I like how they ride, handle and how quiet they are. But I'm afraid of changing to something else, maybe even saving some $$ in the process, but not liking them and being stuck.

I drive my 9-4x more like the CUV/SUV that it is, like how I drove my Dad's GMC Terrain, rather than how I drove my old '06 9-3Arc (2.0T) or my wife's '08 9-3 Aero (2.8T). i.e. I'm not doing 70mph to 90mph on back country roads... more like speed limit + 10 or 15mph. So exceptional turning and "sports car ride" are not as important. Comfort, quiet and bad weather grip are most important. Yeah, I'd like it to handle well, but with the stock setup its nice/fine/good enough for what this vehicle is.

So I've got no clue what to do for tires. And PA State Inspection is coming due by the end of December, so I'll need them.

Saab(s)
    Mark -

We've put 5K on our Yokohoma Parada Spec X tires so far and still good ... quiet ride, good handling.

I don't know of any place that lets you try before you buy ... great concept, but logisitically/financially difficult I would imagine.

Cheers.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    FWIW, and I was once a Goodyear Service Manager, tire mileage warranties are basically worthless. Most everyone buys his tires on sale or at a discount. The warranty is pro-rated against the book full retail list price. I was constantly having customers mad at me because the warranty replacement tires cost them almost as much as what they paid originally.

The other problem was every time the OEMs went up a size, from 15" to 16", then 16" to 18" and now from 18" to 20", the numbnuts who didn't look at what size tire the new mommyvan or SUV had on it would get major sticker bitchslap when the replacement set of tires cost 50%-100% more than on the smaller tires on their previous ride.

jack vines

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x 3.0 xwd
    I went with Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. The tires have been on about a month, just in time as the weather in Chicago took a turn to full on winter. The tires are very good in the wet and seem to do their job in the snow.
    Stock Michelins had 45,000 miles on them. They had some life but the fronts were in better shape than the rears. I bought the 9-4x used so I wanted to start fresh.