Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Noise from front-end while turning

My turn to ask the question "What noise is this?"

After I turn the steering wheel when the car is moving (after about 1 turn of the wheel), I hear taktaktaktaktaktak from the front-end. Not very loud but noticeable. I can't feel anything in the steering wheel and there are no other issues. No noises when driving straight.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    CV joint going bad would be my first choice. They do go taktaktak while turning when they go bad.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Dr. Says "don't do that."

Without hearing it - it could be numerous little things. Sport Sedans would do this because the backing plates would catch the hub bolts. Enlargine the holes on the backing plate fixed that. A Rattle noise over bumps you know is end links on the sway bar. It's not common for a 9-5 to have a bad CV joint - but it's not impossible.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Also can be described as a clicking noise. what would a bad cv joint sound and fell like? - Car Talk

I know what bad sway link bars sound like and it sure is much different. Not sure if it is related but there also seems to be some play in the drive line. For example, when you drive and you take your foot off the accelerator, the auto transmission starts to shift down when the car decelerates. When you put your foot on the accelerator again, there is a clunk. May be something different.

I'll crawl under the car this evening and see if any of the rubber boots are damage or if I can see anything else. I can't recall hearing this noise before since I bought it last November. But you only really hear the noise when the windows are open so I may have never noticed it in winter. I bought it with 42K miles and now have 58K miles on it. Seems a little early for anything like cv joints to fail but that was my first thought as well.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Cv joint if it is clicking. Also you can have a bad one without a torn boot. But a bad CV joint doesn't seem to common on a 9-5.

Saab(s)
    1996 NG900 2.0 Turbo automatic
    Does it sound anything like this ?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    It is somewhat similar but not as loud. Mine is also a more higher pitch and a faster clicking sound.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Frank if it is a clicking sound then it means all of the grease is gone out of the joint. So I guess it is time to get another one. Good luck bro!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Frank that clunk you hear is probably the motor and transmission shifting around hard. The rubber transmission mount at the front of the transmission is probably worn. I would guess the one under the fuse box is worn too. Mine were.
    Here is what mine looked like.
    If anyone has CV joints that are making noise without the boot being torn there done. Time for a new CV joint. Believe me, once there is a small mark on one of the balls in there it makes noise and doesn't stop wearing out even with added grease. (You can drive across the continent with it like that (I have.) but you must keep adding grease and it will still get worse.) Even to the point of locking up while turning! Makes quite a mess with grease being flung all over under there. Even with a very small injection hole in the boot. 1/8" ish to start. It gets bigger by it's self.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06 9-5 SportCombi (sold 02 9-5 Aero Estate (UK), sold 85 900 T16 4 door (favourite car ever))
    FWIW - We've had a front end noise heard only when turning the wheel (both directions) for a few years now on my wife's '06 9-5 sport combi. The noise is apparent only at low speed and I'd describe it more as a popping sound than the metallic type sound as heard in the video. I thought at 1st it was a bad CV joint, but as it only is apparent when turning the wheel & at low speed + there is no change in the noise or its frequency as wheel speed changes + there are no drivability / vibration symptoms + it has never progressed since first starting approx 30,000 Km ago. I continue to monitor. The noise is hard to localize but I suspect it is coming from the power steering pump as the noise drops off as soon as pressure is let off the wheel. As the pump has never lost fluid and the noise hasn't progressed I haven't carried things any further, but treat it as one of those things you live with.
    Last edited by SAR95SportCombi; 29 July 2013 at 16:48.