Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less

1973 Saab 96 - Shazam - New York, USA

Figure I'll just start throwing all my updates in here.

I pulled her out of storage this past Sunday. I'm a bit late this summer, but with a new job and moving, I've been busy. I've decided that now is the time to start the real restoration/rebuild. I'm still not sure what I want to do with the body. It's a bit more rust than I want to tackle, but I've got a voice in my head going "I think I can. I think I can..."

Two days ago I took her out for her last drive and started pulling the engine later that night, here is the engine coming out.

Name:  WP_20130723_004.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  60.3 KB

I was able to borrow a 1/2 chain hoist. Wrapping a hoist strap around the engine mounts, I was able to lift it out quite easily. A simple knee pushing the car backwards while lifting the engine, and it came out with easy.

Name:  WP_20130723_007.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  55.6 KB

That is how it sits currently. Hopefully I'll get time to pull the tranny tonight, but I've got a list of duties before I can get back to that.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    I love love love that car. If I had a garage, I would certainly look to buy one and just get it running. Nothing fancy or get it re-done to "show" level, just to drive it would be fantastic. Very cool.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Awesome car, that V4 is one of the sweetest sounding engines I have ever heard.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    It's a real fun little car. I've driven it for the past three summers and I've had a blast in it. But, it's been in need of work, and I figured what better time than now. I didn't get to get to the tranny tonight, but I bought a set of shelves that will strictly be for Saab parts. During a project, I have a tendency to get a bit disorganized. For most projects, this is fine as I normally remember what bit goes where. But now I'm entering a project that will take me way past the typical month or two, so, organization it is!

And yeah, it's a real sweet sounding car. People here it coming and expect something big a fast, yet I just putt right by. It's not fast by any means (last time I checked it was about 15 seconds to 60mph) but plenty fun. The integrity of the thing has never been there during my ownership to really throw it into a corner, but what I've done with it is exciting; especially with the engine sitting out past the front axle and basically no weight in the rear.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Well, I picked up an engine stand off Craigslist for $25, so I'm on my way there. I ended up leaving the transmission in the car... I can get it when I finish up the engine. So I tidied up the car, and made sure nothing was going to fall off, and towed it to storage. Not the safest way, but I made it in one piece and it was >4 mile trip. I stupidly ran a strap through the exhaust holes... tearing a small bit of steel on one of them when I wasn't able to prevent slack from forming and then jerking the car forward real quick.
    Name:  WP_20130806_001 (1).jpg
Views: 313
Size:  51.4 KB
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Hey, where's the beef? Ooops Clara, that was rust. So Shazam, where's the rust. You didn't show a pic of the floor pans but from what you have shown, I don't see any that I'd suffer loss of sleep over.

Focus on the fact that this car isn't going to Barrett-Jackson and the only shows it'll see is when it makes a lot of smiles at the Sunday Dairy Queen show. Put out the lawn chair and watch how many 65 year old guys nudge their wives and mumble .. but you know what they are saying ... is .. "Hey honey, remember when we went up Coopers Hill and you were amazed at how far the seats could" .. and then watch for that wicked poke she gives him in the ribs but there ain't no way to break that grin.

A but if grinding and maybe learn (I never could), learn to lead some parts, this is perfect for a MAACO shop if they will play along. I would take a car like my 914, MG Midget or something for paint. First was to take care of all of the body stuff. The key is getting them to agree to shoot the paint you provide in the $199 special. I would then head for Ditzler auto products and get them to match the paint which is really important. Buy lacquer and a lot of the old Euro cars had a ton of lacquer on them.

After you do the body work and sand and prime, you have already taken off most components and trim. What's there to f' up? You drive it in with just street legal lamps which then you take off in their lot. Tip the shop guy $20 and a six pack. It's true and universal, every body shop I've worked in (well all 3 anyway), was fueled by beer. The old guys say it steadies the hand so the gun lays it down smoooooth. I think the reality is that it takes away the shakes.

At any rate, they are happy campers. The only masking they have to do is on the windows since all the chicken shizz trim of off.

Lacquer is easy to wet sand to break the peel and then buff to a nice glow. For an "in period" car that's what you want, not twenty coats of clear. When the trim goes back on it's great.

Heck, just look at the time saved trying to get a dust proof and sterile garage with some air flow. No more going outside to hose the lawn so no dust flies in?
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I can't find my pictures I took of the floor. But the floor is horrible. It requires specific foot placement, or you might lose a shoe when you accidentally push through. While it was drive-able, the only reason I never took it out in the rain is because your shoes (the left primarily), pant legs (both) and even your lap would get wet from spray. I can clearly reach a fist through the biggest hole that is right near the pedals. The rocker panels aren't exactly in the best shape, but the are liveable if I can manage to slow the rust progression and make a few small patches. I have no intentions of making this a show worthy car. I just want to get the rust under control so it is safe and won't be a pile of rust flakes and dust in five years... I'd also like to have some spirited drives on some gravel roads.

If I can get to the storage place, I'll snap some pictures of the floor.

Oh, and the engine is finally on the stand. Yay!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Even though I won't need it for a while, I made my clutch alignment tool. I had an extra couple of minutes at work and headed over the shop and made this. Knurling is a bit off center, and the knurling itself isn't correct. But it will do what I need it too.

Name:  WP_20130822_004.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  51.3 KB
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    saabkyle04
    Really done a nice job there. Creating a highly productive, reliable and safe law enforcement cars requires staying up on the latest technology. The display you present for us is inspiring and very professional. Great work. Really like it.

[FONT=arial]ava-tieman.com[/FONT]
    Last edited by Ariel8100; 14 October 2013 at 14:14.
    [FONT=arial]Ariel
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial]Cars is life...Life is cars...
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial]
    [/FONT]