Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

adding extra gauges?

1. If your car has an oil temperature gauge (strange, I know), is coolant temperature useful to know? My new car lacks a coolant temperature gauge.

2. Comments on adding gauges? Scangauge 2 is a nice gauge as far as getting more information, even though only a few parameters are interesting to me. P3 Cars - Vent Integrated Digital Interface - Why settle for just a boost gauge? makes a gauge that fits on a vent of a BMW and looks like it's a factory part. For me, I like the coolant temp., voltmeter, and vacuum gauge which acts almost like Saab'a turbo gauge. Not sure if I will buy it.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Are you talking about the BMW? I think the coolant gauge became an idiot light on that car, the temperature is monitored by the ECU and will only tell you if it's too warm. Many people usualy freak out when the gauge goes above center and take it to the dealer for nothing, so I imagine BMW took that gauge away for a reason. I'd say it's a useful gauge on an older car, but on a new BMW I really don't see why you'd need it. If you have a smart phone just get a OBD Bluetooth transmitter, get the Torque app from the Google Play (or wherever iPhone apps come from) and monitor your temperature that way.

Both my Saab 900 and Peugeot 205 have oil temperature gauges.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    I've seen some recent BMWs that have a coolant temperature gauge but my car has an oil temperature gauge instead. Why I really want to know is if I should get a P3cars gauge that plugs into the OBD. Coolant temperature is one thing that can be displayed. Voltage is another.

Zachary Houseknecht
    Swedish Tank Operator zmhcreative's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1988 Saab 900 SPG
    Just ordered an UltraGauge, that's something to consider, and at 1/3rd the price of a ScanGauge its a pretty decent option.

Have yet to receive it so I'll report on it when I have it and use it for a few days.
    -- My Fleet --
    1988 Saab 900 SPG - Just passed 270k
    1996 Saab 9000 CSE - About to hit 200k

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    The UltraGauge is cheaper.

Scangauge has a model called the Scangauge E. http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugee/ It's smaller, has slightly fewer gauges, and cost $99 instead of $169. It seems to have what I want. Some of the gauges that it lacks I don't really have a use for. One advantage of the Scangauge is that it doesn't look like a GPS. The UltraGauge sort of looks like a GPS. GPS theft and break in is probably less common now that every hoodlum has a smartphone. Still, I'd tend to try to hide any gauge that I have.

The P3 gauge is nice because it is integrated into the vent and looks like a factory part. However, it's very expensive at $389.

Zachary Houseknecht
    Swedish Tank Operator zmhcreative's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1988 Saab 900 SPG
    Got my UltraGauge the other day. Using it daily in a 9000 CSE Turbo.

Very impressed with how quick initial setup is - just tell it your engines litres and fuel tank size and it helps with the mileage/gas related variables.

Also while it is more GPS looking - the display is readable in any condition - instead of being backlit LCDs like the ScanGauge its and LCD screen with all blue characters (which I wish I could change, but not a deal breaker). But seriously night or day, with direct sunlight, I never had a problem with viewing.

For 70 dollars all said and done though, in my opinion its worth the investment.
    -- My Fleet --
    1988 Saab 900 SPG - Just passed 270k
    1996 Saab 9000 CSE - About to hit 200k

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    saabkyle04
    Quote Originally Posted by zmhcreative View Post
    Got my UltraGauge the other day. Using it daily in a 9000 CSE Turbo.

Very impressed with how quick initial setup is - just tell it your engines litres and fuel tank size and it helps with the mileage/gas related variables.

Also while it is more GPS looking - the display is readable in any condition - instead of being backlit LCDs like the ScanGauge its and LCD screen with all blue characters (which I wish I could change, but not a deal breaker). But seriously night or day, with direct sunlight, I never had a problem with viewing.

For 70 dollars all said and done though, in my opinion its worth the investment.
    I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that the display is readable in any condition. Instead of being backlit LCDs like the ScanGauge its and LCD screen with all blue characters.

[FONT=arial]ava-tieman.com[/FONT]
    Last edited by Ariel8100; 14 October 2013 at 14:14.
    [FONT=arial]Ariel
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial]Cars is life...Life is cars...
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial]
    [/FONT]

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    @ the meet this weekend someone had a good question about gauges - where would one with a 9-3 SS 2.0T tap into for an oil pressure sender for a gauge? Thoughts?
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com