Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Zachary Houseknecht
    Swedish Tank Operator zmhcreative's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1988 Saab 900 SPG

Thunk from right passenger side wheel well

So, I was under the car the other day, and discovered where my coolant was coming from. I bypassed the heater core in the meantime, until I get the chance to replace it.
    I didn't see anything that seemed to be in too bad of shape (I'm also not a mechanic, just a medium-experience DIY'er).

But, I just noticed two days ago, when my wheel is mostly right, or on right turns, I get a nice thunk(ing) from the passenger wheel well area.
    It also makes said thunking sometimes when under load (either accelerating, or going over large bumps), so I'm assuming its more than likely going to be motor/transmission mount.

Not sure what's most common to go on 9000's - CV Joints, motor mounts?

The car is about to hit 200k, so it could be anything to be honest.
    -- My Fleet --
    1988 Saab 900 SPG - Just passed 270k
    1996 Saab 9000 CSE - About to hit 200k

Saab(s)
    94 9000 Aero
    How many miles on the struts?

Zachary Houseknecht
    Swedish Tank Operator zmhcreative's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1988 Saab 900 SPG
    Quote Originally Posted by DGS View Post
    How many miles on the struts?
    Under 30k, at least everything suspension related is under that. But jacked up the car last week, and shook the motor mounts.....the one more towards the firewall was pretty much shot. Which would make sense, since the clunk was under acceleration or over speedbumps.
    Replaced both motor mounts (bottom ones, since top seemed fine) and was advised by a buddy to get the right front axle assembly replaced, so had him replace that.

Night and day difference! No clunk under acceleration, and nothing when I turn the wheel full lock (other than my tires rubbing a little on the plastic wheel-well.).
    -- My Fleet --
    1988 Saab 900 SPG - Just passed 270k
    1996 Saab 9000 CSE - About to hit 200k

Saab(s)
    1995 - 9000 CS and many others
    This one I know! Very common in 9000s. I had the exact same issue. Most likely, not the strut itself, but where/how the strut is attached up inside high inside wheel well. Access usually from inside car, need a reinforcing weld and maybe a bit of steel added where strut attaches - about $ 300. Make sure shop puts some undercoating of some kind so it doesn't rust again. Good luck.