Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    Saab 95..93

oil leak

I appear to have an oil leak coming from the behind the crank shaft pulley which only shows up with engine running. How difficult is it to replace the oil seal, or could there be another cause of this leak? Repaired leak coming from the camchain tensioner which I thoucht was the cause but no luck.
    Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

bob evan
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 Saab 9-5 Aero
    I replaced the front main seal in mine. It was a fairly easy job, nothing too involved...an impact gun would help...on a scale of 1-10 (1 being new and 10expert) i would say this job is a 4. Just take the serpentine off, passanger tire and wheel well plastic liner, loosen the top engine mount screw (not all the way) and then take the pulley off. Toughest part for me was a little c-clip that is actaully pretty big lol but that's all!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I'm trying to pinpoint a leak around there too. Not sure if it was my head gasket or valve cover gasket but I re-torked the head and did the valve cover gaskets and cleaned most of or some of the oil off. Now I'm waiting to see if that was the problem. If not it will have to wait until I'm back form holidays in a few weeks. (Unless my father in-law wants to work on a Saab with me.)

Saab(s)
    Saab 95..93
    Have new seal, just waiting for good weather. Hopefully pulley comes off easily but being automatic it might be a bit more difficult.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    that's some seriously solid info. well done.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    It's what I do
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I just clicked on the EuroParts link. They now ship to Canada! And say there is no extra fees on out end via Fed-X.
    It looks like I need at least crank seals for my 03 Aero Wagon. (It didn't leak on my way to PEI. 2000k but it has just now decided to start while we are here.... Ahhh.)

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1997 900SE, 2003 9-5 Linear
    I did this last weekend, in addition to new belt tensioner pulley, idler pulley and belt. Not a difficult project - except the C-ring, even though I had a large plier from a transmission rebuild, it was just a tad small but I got it to work. I tapped at the edge of the ring with a small hammer to kinda break its seal where it had been for 160K miles. Replaced the seal and o-ring. I removed the plate covering the torque converter, took a piece of flat steel w/2 holes, a fewer washers to level - held everything during the process. I was able to remove nut with 1/2" breaker bar - re-torqued to 129 ft. lbs. - found one article that said 250 ft. lbs. - but it was nowhere near that tight in removing.