Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

"New" 1996 Saab 900s 2.3L with issue and I have??s

alright, so I Just bought this saab off of a farm guy about a week ago, for $800 USD. It has 213,000 Miles, apparently the transmission and clutch were replaced less than 8K ago. I'm not sure about any other parts other than that. So, I'll Post the specs, and then I'll ask my questions.

[FONT=Verdana]
    l:
    Saab 900
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Model Year:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Body type:
    5-door (5D)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Engine:
    B234I 4-inline, Fuel injection, PETROL, I (B234 I)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Gearbox:
    5-speed manual / Front wheel drive
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Plant:
    Trollhattan, Sweden, line B (900 / 9-3)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Market:
    Model series II, Driver and passenger airbags
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Serial number:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    VIN
    [/FONT]

So it squeaks in the front end a lot over bumps, never really while turning of course unless its bumpy. I was told that the squeak could be a motor mount or a tie rod end from the previous, only other owner of the car. So what do you think it could be? I looked at the tie rod ends, they look like they need replacing sometime soon, but I don't know, I've been known to be wrong from time to time. Something tells me it might need a motor mount too, I'm also not sure, I haven't looked at it. If it does need to be replaced what are the dangers of not replacing it? Should I be too concerned to not replace it for a while?

I was also semi-informed by the previous owners that the car had been unused/ abandoned for a period of time, between 1-3 years. I have also noticed water damage to the interior of the car, ie; Visible water damage on instrument cluster, SID, floor mats, rusty spare tire, etc. Which leads me to my second question about the instrument cluster, when I hit bumps sometimes it stops working for a second all the gauges go down and big ! sign it lit in the middle, also at night the lights light up the instrument cluster, ashtray, radio, sid (lcd works buttons don't light), window, sunroof, locks, lights, etc lights. When I pound, or heavily tap on the dash, esp above the light control switch the lights go on, also sometime the lights, on the instrument cluster(IC) light for a second when the IC rests itself when it malfunctions. So, I was wondering if this could be a loose wire, or could the IC have to be replaced?

Which bring's me to the front brakes the passenger side caliper was locked up when I bought it, I took the caliper off and wd40'd on the inside of the dust shield, and the i pushed the brake pedal in until the person watching it said "when" and then I wd'd again the inside of the dust shield and pushed the caliper all the way in. and then I put the pads back on, and it seemed to work, but I bought pads last night and today I put them on, the caliper however still needs to be rebuilt because the dust shield is broken, and I'm having trouble finding the rebuilt kit (seals), so if anyone know's where I can get them for not high way robbery prices, please let me know! Also, I'm wondering if I did the right thing as a temporary solution for the caliper right now? The brakes also feel mushy? should I bleed all of them, I haven't checked out the back ones, perhaps they need to be replaced, which brings me conveniently to my next question/ topic.

So, I was a dummy (0.0) and I pulled the hand brake all the way up like a he man, now the back brakes make a "noise" it's a weird noise to explain, but it sounds like a card in a bicycle wheel spoke. Once and a while when I go over bumps I hear a clanking noise in the rear end too. What could these things be, and how pertinent is it that I fix them?

This list if awfully long isn't it, well it gets longer too lol. The check engine light went on while I was driving, and the first couple of days I had it, I noticed black smoke when started, I haven't noticed the smoke today.. I'm also unsure that its getting bad gas mileage, which ties in another question/topic.

I filled it up today, the gauge only goes up to 3/4 I think it was empty empty and I put 55.00 gas at 3.999, which is more than 13 gallons so I'm not sure, but this isn't my question. It has to do with the SID mileage, I'm not sure that it's working correctly because, I reset it today, and jumped on the highway, and it says that it gets approx. 28 MPG, went about 15-20 miles on the highway, stopped, did the brake job and oil change, then jumped back on the highway, went about 15-20 miles again and when i got home it had dropped to 24 MPG, then I ran some errands doing city and highway driving, and its reading about 17.4, I think I drive pretty defensively and not very aggressive, and follow the shift up light when possible. What could cause the check engine light? is it something I should be concerned about? Is the SID correct, am I really getting 17.4 MPG, or does it have to calibrate? Is there something I can do to push this car to get better gas mileage, do those better gas mileage chips work?

Also... The list keeps getting longer. this one is a semi easy one I hope, the power antenna wont go down, So I took it off the antenna and looked at it, and it looks like the plastic thing that pulls the antenna down, is busted, the motor runs, so, should I just have to buy a new antenna mast, or will I have to buy the antenna, and motor?

I'm thinking down the road, I'm going to want to Install a new radio in the car, I've looked online for a wiring harness, and I haven't found anything, which makes me sad, because that is a double din right? So if you know where I can get the wire harness I would love to know Also, when I turn on the windshield was the water doesn't squirt and it is most, def. full.. I don't hear the motor run could it be faulty wiring or the motor? also the same with the headlight wipers, wiring or motor, the driver one doesn't work at all, and the pass one, goes for a second than quits, and then takes forever to go back to the "home position". Should I remove them? or replace them, if it turns out to be the motor?

Also, the back passenger window doesn't roll down, I'm thinking its either the motor or faulty wiring, if it is the motor does anyone know where to get one realitivly inexpensive?

Back to the rusty spare tire, it is rusty all around the rim, I think on just one side, is this even safe to use or should I buy a new one, before I plan on going on a lengthy trip?

Also, I was not told what kind of gas the old owners put in it, so I'm asking you guys, what should I put in it, Reg. Mid. or Premo?

Also, I just changed the oil, because it was way past its time, it looked like, and smelled like.. So, I used a Fram "midgrade filter" I think idk, what it was called it was just the 5 dollar one, instead of the 3 dollar one, i would have gotten the 8 or 10 dollar one if they would have had the right size. anyways, the oil was the big thing that I had a question about, I'm normally a mobile 1 guy, I love mobile 1 oil, and everything about, however this time, I went with Quakerstate High Mileage Semi-Synthetic blend, because Mobile 1 doesn't come in a Synthetic blend. I was wondering if I made the right choice? Should I have not used Synthetic at all? or should I Have gone all the way and went with Mobile 1? The car sounds like it's running better!

I think that's all she wrote for now, I'm gonna go to autozone tomorrow and check out the check engine light, and I will let you all know. Thank you all so so so so so much for your help on this. I am now officially a proud Saab owner, even if she makes noises, and what not, I love her, you are not just a Saab owner, your a Saab enthusiast! It handles like a dream, takes corners like insane, I haven't topped her out yet, kinda scared too.. not because of the reliability, but I know if I go above 100 MPH I'm gonna wanna go all the way, and that could be dangerous esp.wit that caliper. I know I can take my Saab, on a trip, and it will be fine, that's why I love it. It drives smooth, it shifts like a dream. It practically drives itself.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Wow - that's a lot to respond to. I think you might get a better response if we tackle these issues 1 at a time.
    I have no idea about the squeaking.
    About the lights, I'd start looking for a loose connector - no idea where.
    I would definitely bleed the brakes.
    As far as (cheaper) parts - ebay and pick-a-part places. Hopefully you don't live in the middle of nowhere.
    Don't believe the SID. My 9-3 told me the other day that I could still drive 90 miles, but then my gas light came on!
    I do not know about the 900, but my 01' 9-3 requires synthetic and at least 87 octane gas, but it prefers 92(I think)
    The wheel for your tire should be fine, just make sure that it is not completely rusted through, if it's just surface rust then you're fine.
    In the meantime, go buy this book - you'll be glad you did!
    Name:  964880031.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  34.4 KB
    Good luck fixing her up!

Go to genuine saab website and look at their radio fill kit. They also have a pdf on the wiring.

Some kind of fuel additive to clean the injectors might be helpful -- premium gas wouldn't hurt but I don't think it's required on non-turbo.
    Clean the throttle body.
    Antennae is tricky -- is the wire / cable broken? Try lubing the mast. Maybe you can find something at a wrecking yard.
    windshield washer often plug up with the little gizmos that are in the lines -- try cleaning or replacing.
    Might want to google about the head bolts -- might need tightening.