Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-5

Is this a good deal for a (new) Saab 9-5???

Hello all, Ive caught the Saab Bug big time. I've recently entered the sadan market and I cannot ignor the value on a 2011 never registered 9-5. Today I negotated a price on a Turbo 4 Premium with tech package and some cargo thing for $27,200, originaly MSRP was $47,000. I'm looking for some perspective on that price. I will also have to pay a big shipping cost cross country, likely $1200-$2000. Heres the other thing, Ive never seen one in person let alone gone on a test drive. Am I crazy? I appriate your perspective!

Jason

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    If the $27,200 included the shipping and an aftermarket warranty I'd say that's a fair deal for a New Old Stock 2011. These cars were selling for that price in 2011/2012 with option for a warranty through an outside insurance company. It's now 2013 almost 2014....
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Best prices I have seen were $20K off MSRP and I think that included an aftermarket warranty.

Keep in mind the manufacturer is out of business, spare parts may be a challenge to find and/or be expensive, any recalls or problems will not be taken care of and finding a Saab service/repair place that can repair these newer Saabs may be difficult.

You should definitely see and drive one yourself before you make a big purchase decision like that. Make the investment of flying out to that dealer and see for yourself. If you like it, you can buy it then and there and drive back home. If you don't, it may have cost you $500 for a return plane ticket but you won't be stuck with a car you may not like.

They can be a great deal, especially for a new car like that. So yes, you are a bit crazy but so are many of other Saab owners. Join the club!

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Best prices I have seen were $20K off MSRP and I think that included an aftermarket warranty.

Keep in mind the manufacturer is out of business, spare parts may be a challenge to find and/or be expensive, any recalls or problems will not be taken care of and finding a Saab service/repair place that can repair these newer Saabs may be difficult.

You should definitely see and drive one yourself before you make a big purchase decision like that. Make the investment of flying out to that dealer and see for yourself. If you like it, you can buy it then and there and drive back home. If you don't, it may have cost you $500 for a return plane ticket but you won't be stuck with a car you may not like.

They can be a great deal, especially for a new car like that. So yes, you are a bit crazy but so are many of other Saab owners. Join the club!
    As an owner, I'll give the flip side of what Frank said.

I'll have owned mine for 3 years this December. Very minor issues (light bar dimmed and a rear turn signal socket shorting out) ... granted both were fixed free by SAAB, but if there was no warranty action, that would have been a grand in repairs (over 3 years).

Spare parts are not an issue. SAAB Parts North America is our parts importer, and there aren't any shortages of anything except HUD windshields. Many parts can be cross-referenced with GM parts anyway for the NG9-5.

I've had great luck with the official SAAB Service Centers. There are many in PA. As such, you will not have a problem finding someone to repair your newer SAAB.

If you want to drive/see one before you purchase, just go to cars.com. You'll find several in/near Pennsylvania.

Hope this helps.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero Sdn (sold 8/2013). 2010 9-5 Aero (11/2012-present). 2009 9-3 2.0T (11/2013-Present)
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieone View Post
    As an owner, I'll give the flip side of what Frank said.

I'll have owned mine for 3 years this December. Very minor issues (light bar dimmed and a rear turn signal socket shorting out) ... granted both were fixed free by SAAB, but if there was no warranty action, that would have been a grand in repairs (over 3 years).

Spare parts are not an issue. SAAB Parts North America is our parts importer, and there aren't any shortages of anything except HUD windshields. Many parts can be cross-referenced with GM parts anyway for the NG9-5.

I've had great luck with the official SAAB Service Centers. There are many in PA. As such, you will not have a problem finding someone to repair your newer SAAB.

If you want to drive/see one before you purchase, just go to cars.com. You'll find several in/near Pennsylvania.

Hope this helps.
    Piggybacking!

I've bought my 2010 9-5 Aero in November 2012 with 19,700 miles for $25,000 and only regret it when i have to make the payment. I couldn't pass it up as the original window sticker shows it was $54,000 when new. I currently have 29,000 miles but i recently put my 9-3 up for sale so i will put more miles on the 9-5 once it becomes my daily driver (although I may get an older 9-3 2 door hatch later). I haven't really needed parts as I've only had to change the oil & filters. My nav, bluetooth, hands free, and compass went out a few months ago and I've asked the three former Saab dealerships that aren't terribly far from me and only one has the equipment to fix it (they are in the far north suburbs of chicago, about 45-60 min from my home).

On the other hand, my brother in law bought a 2011 9-5 Turbo 4 (base model) in March and just traded it in. It was making all sorts of noises and the rear LED light bar went out a few weeks ago. He also had the shorted rear left bulb socket. He was afraid it would cost too much to get it fix with no warranty so he gave up on it. When we pulled the carfax on his car after he got it we saw it was previously a rental car in CA (hence the 41,000 miles that it had).

Long story short (too late, I know) if you buy it new and properly maintain it you should be fine but make sure you find a place that knows how to work on the car. Definitely go look at it... or if you trust the dealership you've been working with find another 9-5 near you to at least drive one to make sure it works for you.

Saab(s)
    9-5
    Thanks for the insight. I was finally able to drive one in the bay area of california. I really liked it, but i can see why it struggled to sell. Ive drivin a lot of cars as rentals p and it did have a bit of a GM feel. But i loved that it was stylish, got a lot of attentn on the road and was very comfortable, especially thise seats! An after market warranty is around 2 k shipping is around 1 k, plus tax im looking at around 32 k for this bad boy, with technology the way it is and some of the new cars coming out, im just affraid its a little dated. Tough call, still chewing on it

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero Sdn (sold 8/2013). 2010 9-5 Aero (11/2012-present). 2009 9-3 2.0T (11/2013-Present)
    Quote Originally Posted by 209ryder View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I was finally able to drive one in the bay area of california. I really liked it, but i can see why it struggled to sell. Ive drivin a lot of cars as rentals p and it did have a bit of a GM feel. But i loved that it was stylish, got a lot of attentn on the road and was very comfortable, especially thise seats! An after market warranty is around 2 k shipping is around 1 k, plus tax im looking at around 32 k for this bad boy, with technology the way it is and some of the new cars coming out, im just affraid its a little dated. Tough call, still chewing on it
    Ask the dealership for help with the warranty and / or shipping... or... take a road trip in your new Saab (just make sure it comes with a spare tire instead of a "repair kit"). I thought the same thing about the technology in the car but no matter what there's always something new that will be out in a year or two; just look at cell phones. Sure, I wish I could use my fingers to just expand/zoom in on the nav map or that the voice recognition worked a little better but the car is amazingly stunning plus my "old" car didnt have those features anyway. But that's just me.