Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Non yet

Took Delivery of Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan, Should Speedometer be Right?

Last week I finally got my 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan. It's a neat car. It sure handles nicely, just a few cosmetic things I'd like to work on. Plus, it needs rotors all the way around, I get some shudder.

However, I'm finding it somewhat annoying that the speedometer is inaccurate. I discovered this on the way home when family in the car, with smart phone apps told me I was driving slow.

At 75 MPH on Saab speedometer I'm actually traveling 71 MPH.

The car has the stock tires and wheels. What gives?

Are all Saab speedometers inaccurate?
    Last edited by r171mb; 16 August 2013 at 05:59. Reason: Misspelling/Typo in Title

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-3 SS Linear--gone, 06' 9-3 SC Aero--gone, 09' 9-3 SS Aero Auto--yeah
    Most European cars read like that, 2-3% fast for some reason. All of my Saabs and Audi's have. Ironically I'm in a loaner Chevy right now and the speedo is dead on. Just the way things are so your car is probably fine.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Non yet
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonFlash View Post
    Most European cars read like that, 2-3% fast for some reason. All of my Saabs and Audi's have. Ironically I'm in a loaner Chevy right now and the speedo is dead on. Just the way things are so your car is probably fine.
    70 but reading 74 just seems like a pretty big error, but I appreciate your confirmation. My Mercedes car reads spot on oddly.

I'm sure you're right though, appreciate you sharing that observation too. I just feel funny having to drive 80 if I want to do 75, for example. It just seems odd (for Saab) to change what is "correct." ha.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    My SAABs are spot on from 55 to about 75 mph. Above and below that there are errors. Being 4 mph off at 75 mph is a 5% error, which isn't excessive. Better to show faster than slower!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    My 2006 is the same way - I even make sure to program it for the specific tire and speed rating in it - doesn't fix that. As said - European cars are off as much as 5%. It's too keep you from speeding Use your phone's GPS for accurate speed or just figure you are 5MPH off above 75....
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com