Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5

HELP!!! Check gear box/check engine errors P1624 & p0730

Please drop down to the LAST post in this thread for updates!! Thank you

I drove my car Friday and about 1/2 way to my destination it started having major shifting issues. It was acting like it couldn't get out of 1st gear. The pedal was down and the car wouldn't move. I parked the car for the evening. Did a little research and went back yesterday morning and tried a couple of things: moving the shifter back and forth, pulling fuse 17 from the dash panel, checked tranny fluid (full), checked oil (full). Also checked ALL fuses listed for transmission in hopes it was something simple. Got car home with no more shifting issues (babied it all the way). Lights are still both on.

From what I can (or can't find) p1624 is anti-theft (I had another engine code a few weeks ago and this was not on then), or the TCM. P0730 is a gear ratio issue. Not finding a very consistent answer for either of these codes. Have searched here using both codes, but not finding any info.

Hoping someone can point me in a starting direction so I can get this taken care of today. Will also be doing the 2nd transmission fluid change (changed the first time about a week and a half ago). Hoping I can have my car for work tomorrow or it makes things super complicated!

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by kduffy78; 02 September 2013 at 21:45.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Was there any work performed to the transmission recently? Those codes usually pop up when the gear selection wires are installed swapped. They are the same two-wire connectors and can be easily done wrong. They are located underneath the battery tray. Also re-check your gear oil, it needs to be at the full mark, not higher.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    No transmission work has been done except for the fluid swap I mentioned previously. Vehicle was driving fine til Friday when i guess it went into limp home mode?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    http://www.diycardoctor.com/Download...TC%20Codes.txt

According to this list code P1624 is a TCM issue. Not sure how to solve the P0730 issue (is it a gear ratio?). I guess I need to order a TCM unless someone has another solution?

Thank you for any advice

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    Ok, so now I REALLY need help. After much investigating and reading online, we replaced the neutral safety switch and the TCM (under the dash). Moved on to the speed sensors. Found the front speed sensor on the transmission broken off and half of it stuck in the transmission. Is there a way to get it out without having to drop the whole transmission?? The car is not really worth getting it towed and the transmission taken down to get out the speed sensor. If I can't DIY, then I guess I will be done with this Saab :-(

Saab(s)
    1998 900 SE Convertible
    Ok, So I took my 1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo Convertible to an import mechanic to diagnose the same exact fault codes: he told me it is the TCM.
    Can anyone tell me where to get one, and where this is located? I see above it states under the dash.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hays4 View Post
    Ok, So I took my 1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo Convertible to an import mechanic to diagnose the same exact fault codes: he told me it is the TCM.
    Can anyone tell me where to get one, and where this is located? I see above it states under the dash.
    On a convertible the TCM should be by the drivers left foot and you can shop for good used parts here http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi