Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Wagon, 1989 Saab 900 turbo convertible stick shift

Honk, honk, from NYC / my SAAB history and more...

Hi everybody,

I am brand new in the forum and just want to say hi and thank you so much for all the help I got here already - this forum is a treasure trove and I hope I can contribute something helpful soon myself. I live in the fine city of New York and just got a 2003 SAAB 9-5 Linear station wagon in firetruck red. The car has close to 90k on the clock and just got a new turbo. The SAAB was handed down trough the family and I hope she has some nice years in her left. The pick-up is great, the car feels solid and well maintained. There are some (minor, I hope) issues which seem to be quite usual:

- The first thing I did was ripping out the central console electronics. I thought I had already fixed the dang SID. But that didn't work yet, I am at about 20 percent f the pixels, so I ordered a new cable from pixelfix.net. Should be here within the next week. I'll report.
    - [SOLVED] A quick fix was to insert a cable tie into the passenger's visor to stop the annoying drooping.
    - [SOLVED] I added an AUX plug to audio system. Success! 3.5mm jack above CD player in the Audio system front panel, line soldered on telephone input, second, long external cable soldered on the same input with 3.5mm plug, stowed in the back of the audio system so far, but will root to the middle console when I open up that can of worms.
    - Today the engine light came on for some seconds - she got a new ignition box last July, so I wonder what that is all about now. Note to self: Go to mechanic on Monday.

My ToDo List:

- I need spare keys! I got only one single key which was working only manually. I replaced the battery and all works fine again, but I have no spares. I will look around here for your recommendations. What a pain!
    - The gas gauge is going bonkers, but I guess I give this fix a pass - especially after reading what pain in the neck it is to exchange the sensor/the whole pump.
    - I am looking for several smaller plastic parts inside and outside which probably just fell off. Do you have any good recommendations where to get these smaller bits and pieces cheaply? I'm not too meticulous, but without these missing parts the car just doesn't look complete.
    - Inner door opener, driver side: Black cap over the screw is missing.
    - Automatic shifter in the middle console: Cassette blend plastic band is missing.
    - "Rubber ring" on the outside around the car: Some black protective plastic, just the little piece in front of the driver's door, is missing.

MY QUESTION ABOUT WORKSHOPS

Just another question - I saw all these great recommendations for workshops in NYC. I didn't pay too close attention how old these tips were, so I went to doublecheck on places like Yelp (can you believe it?) and saw that Roland on Atlantic Ave got the highest scores all over the map. Waddayathink, is this still THE place to go in New York?

I wholeheartedly can recommend Paul at Star Motors in St. James on Lon Gisland. It's quite a hike frm the city but definitely worth it. He is a former SAAB race car driver (if I remember right, in the Sixties) and worked on SAABs ever since. Thoughtful, thorough, helpful, tells you what you need and what you don't need, comes up with the rarest parts, finds straight away what's wrong - and doesn't charge you and arm and a leg. What's more important: Paul has an intimate knowledge of SAABs, their peculiarities and pitfalls. This is how I wish a mechanic.

I know him because a friend of mine with a white stick shift 900 turbo convertible goes there for years and is happy as a clam with the service. As I said, it's quite far for New Yorkers, but definitely worth the trip.
    cheers
    Niner-Fiver

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner-Fiver View Post
    - I am looking for several smaller plastic parts inside and outside which probably just fell off. Do you have any good recommendations where to get these smaller bits and pieces cheaply? I'm not too meticulous, but without these missing parts the car just doesn't look complete.
    - Inner door opener, driver side: Black cap over the screw is missing.
    - Automatic shifter in the middle console: Cassette blend plastic band is missing.
    - "Rubber ring" on the outside around the car: Some black protective plastic, just the little piece in front of the driver's door, is missing.
    Hello and welcome to SaabWorld. I like your attention to detail.

Black cap for inner door opener: 12772623 Genuine Saab - Door Handle Screw Cover - Free Shipping

Jalousie for automatic shifter: 4777173 Genuine Saab - Shifter Jalousie - Free Shipping
    Replacement instructions: http://saabworld.net/f29/selector-le...on-system-666/

Not sure what rubber ring you're referring to.

Above links show the part numbers. Shop around for prices, find recommendations here: http://saabworld.net/f15/where-does-...ir-parts-1425/ Most of those small parts are best to order with other parts to save on shipping charges.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Wagon, 1989 Saab 900 turbo convertible stick shift
    Hi Frank,

thanks so much for the quick and detailed answer.
    You wrote: "I like your attention to detail. " Yep, these meticulous Germans again!
    Anyway, thanks for the links, here on the pages and external.
    With the rubber ring I was referring to the black protective band surrounding the body of the car on the bumper level. You can see it on your member photo between the whell and the bumper. What I need is just the little speck between the driver's door and the wheel casing. But I will look around on eeuroparts.com.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Hello and welcome to Saab World! I see you have already been busy with that 9-5, seems like you have some to the right corner of the internet!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo