Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible

Sob story about my Saab

So I have owned my 2001 9-3 for almost 11 months and 2 weeks. I bought it as a fun car for the weekends. I've barely put 2k miles on it. It has been in the shop for the last 3 months because a drunk driver hit me.

Insurance companies have been great and put more money into the car than I have paid for it. Unfortunately the top still doesn't work right. Everything else does and I love the car, it's just the darn top. Those of you who have been reading my posts know the whole story.

Anyway, Progressive called me yesterday and they are going to stop putting money into the car and buy it from me. I don't know what they offer is yet. Hopefully I won't lose too much. They are going to let me buy the car if I want for what the auction place would give them for it. If it's less than $1k then I may keep it. Just not sure yet ... Unfortunately Virginia doesn't make it cheap to own multiple cars. Annual property taxes, emission and safety inspections, tags, etc...

I loved that Saab, but due to some a$$hat, it will never work 100% right again

Thanks to everyone on here who has helped me over the last year. You guys are great!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    That's a shame! I hope they don't try to screw you with some lowball offer. Let us know.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I hope this won't make you give up on the brand. Any plans for another Saab?

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Thanks Shazam I will let you know how it goes. I just got back from picking up the car from the service center.

Frank - I LOVE the car. I'm tempted to buy it back from the insurance company. It just depends on how much they want for it. If this was a coupe with a sunroof. I wouldn't be having these problems. I do like the later model Saab's but I need a truck. So.... if the price is right I will keep my 9-3 and buy a truck if not ... who knows.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Progressive got back to me yesterday, they made me a good offer on the car. Unfortunately they want $1500 for me to keep the car. I had decided last week that if the buy back price was around $750, then I would have kept it. So, I am taking Progressive the title and getting my check on Monday and the salvage place is coming to get the car on Wednesday.

I enjoyed my time on the forum and appreciate all the help I have been given.

Maybe I'll be back down the road.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    It's good to know the insurance regulations for your state. If you are unable to reach an agreement with your insurance company, the state insurance regulations are what you can refer to. These can vary quite a bit in different states.

In Washington state, you can re-open a claim within about a month. This is your chance if you haven't given up the car.

Do you think the settlement is fair? If so, accept it and move on. I am not the type of person that tries to get more than what I think is fair. If you think the settlement is not fair, consider to attempt a resolution (fight it). Is it almost fair except the salvage value is too high? If so, ask them to lower it.

In Washington state, the insurance companies make a guess but the state regulations require that they provide proof in the form of an actual bid from a junkyard. Instead, you can get a bid by calling a junkyard then emailing pictures. In my case, both junkyards that I contact responded with bids lower than the salvage value. Then ask that the insurance company use that as a salvage value.

In Washington state, if you retain the car as salvage (technically, you're not buying it back), the insurance company must accept the wreckage within 30 days if you change your mind. This could happen if you decide the repair is too much work.

My insurance company, in my opinion, illegally lowballed the value of my car. I filed a complaint with the insurance commissioer. The insurance company eventually raised their settlement on the day their response was due. They refused to raise the value of the car because they did not want to admit that their methodology was unlawful. Instead, they knew that I wanted to keep the car so they lowered the salvage value $1000 and increased condition of my car.

In your case, perhaps they could decrease the salvage value to $750?

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Hi Dave. Thanks for the input. The offer I received from them is more than fair. With the exception of the issues I am having with the top, the car is great. Progressive and USAA dumped nearly $5500 into the car to repair it. Unfortunately it still isn't at 100% and I don't feel like dumping more time and money into it. It really is too bad.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Sorry to hear about your story. Are you still going to attempt to get the car at auction? Perhaps another Saab later at better times. Good luck!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    I have the opportunity to buy the car before they auction it. It's $1500. Not worth it.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Will they set a $1500 reverse for the auction? If not there is still a slight chance you might get your car for under a grand.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo