Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90

Results from my 04 9-5 compression test. Guess why....

Well with 363000 km on it and I kind of expected something to go sooner than later. Just not this soon.
    I went for a 1.25 hr drive yesterday to pick up Saab parts. Funny thing coming home the car ran great and I did 130km/h all the way (7.8l/100km)but it idled rough at stops. I opened the hood to find oil had been spraying out of my oil fill ! Yes SPRAYING! Seems my crank case has become pressurized.
    I checked the codes and found P0301 (#1 cyl misfire) But there weren't any lights on the dash...
    So I got a compression tester today and found out some things.
    Here are the #'s from the compression tests on my 04 9-5 ARC 2.3T
    Dry 1= 65, 2= 165, 3= 160, 4= 170
    Wet 1= 110, 2= 220, 3= 230, 4= 280
    I'm guessing head gasket.
    Here is a link to a video I did of the puffing from the oil fill. 04 9-5 SAAB ARC puffing smoke from oil fill - YouTube

I planed to replace the timing chain & sprockets, balance..., and head gasket, exhaust, intake manifold gaskets this winter.
    Looks like I am going to be busy in the next few days.
    I'm pulling the head first to take a look at the cylinder walls and dropping the sump just because I may as well while I'm at it. I'm kind of curious what it looks like in there being a 04 with the factory PVC update.

Any other ideas or advice? All are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    You oil blow out would seem to be head related if your check valves seem ok, or your motor has given up.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    The only check valve I can find is on top of the R side motor mount.
    I thought it was stuck open but upon inspection it has a hole in the center. It allows fumes to move from the PVC oil box to the cobra. a mall amount through the small (3mm?) hole in the center then it pushes wider open to allow more volume.
    I found oil residue (more that I would like) in the blow off valve, and boost hose to the throttle body....?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I got the head off today. I think the problem was the head gasket. Leaking from #1 into either the timing chain area or the oil race right there.
    I must have been lucky to catch it when I did. If it kept blowing oil out I probably wouldn't have noticed until it was too late.
    Everything looks good in the cylinders and the head. I did notice one spot ware hard stuff has built up. Only one small spot...? (The leak spot?) See picture.
    One concern is the way the timing line was set on the crank when I lined the cams up.
    The crank was advanced! Yea! I don't know if the chain skipped or what happened.
    I'll get the timing chain cover off and take a look soon.
    Here is a link to another thread started by TimMahaney about his head gasket replacement. I've posted a bunch of stuff there and will continue with that thread until done. Then I'll update this one. LINK http://saabworld.net/f9/head-gasket-replacement-28961/