Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    No problem. Remember im in the middle of the same job too.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    did you have to drop sump to get timing cover off?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    The WIS says to. I did.
    I did skip a few things that ended up costing me time. (The motor mounts are very important to remove to get the motor over to the left a bit.) Watch your fingers!!!!
    I used a 2x4 and a few other scrap pieces of wood ware the WIS calls for a wedge #??????.
    How do your pistons look? Are they cracked?
    You may want to check jaxed.com. It's a search engine...? that searches all of craigslist. Handy!!!!! So you don't have to check each different sub area for things. EG: New York breaks down into 5 or 6 different areas...
    It's really good for finding specific things.
    EG: After hurricane Sandy I searched for "sailboat hardware" And found lots of what I was looking for.
    If your going to put a used head/ motor in the car. maybe search":2000's Saab engine parts": saab 2000s engine parts for sale jaxed car and truck
    Or saab 2000s for sale "Just saab."

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    The WIS says to. I did.
    I did skip a few things that ended up costing me time. (The motor mounts are very important to remove to get the motor over to the left a bit.) Watch your fingers!!!!
    I used a 2x4 and a few other scrap pieces of wood ware the WIS calls for a wedge #??????.
    How do your pistons look? Are they cracked?
    You may want to check jaxed.com. It's a search engine...? that searches all of craigslist. Handy!!!!! So you don't have to check each different sub area for things. EG: New York breaks down into 5 or 6 different areas...
    It's really good for finding specific things.
    EG: After hurricane Sandy I searched for "sailboat hardware" And found lots of what I was looking for.
    If your going to put a used head/ motor in the car. maybe search":2000's Saab engine parts": saab 2000s engine parts for sale jaxed car and truck
    Or saab 2000s for sale "Just saab."
    I'm actually just going to leave it be for now. Just landed a job with A garage and get a 10% discount on everything so may as well have them fix the head and check pistons because they have tools! but by feel and look they don't look cracked. Just need to find ride for first few weeks

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Got my parts today, chains, sprockets, gaskets, valve seals, etc.
    In the head gasket kit there are 8 small rubber O rings. I haven't come across anything like them while taking the engine apart... Any guesses... Anyone?
    Here is a link to the gasket kit I got. FEL Pro HS 26428 PT Head Gasket Set Engine Cylinder Head Gasket Set | eBay
    They are along the bottom of the picture. The description on the Fel-Pro box says O ring.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    Got my parts today, chains, sprockets, gaskets, valve seals, etc.
    In the head gasket kit there are 8 small rubber O rings. I haven't come across anything like them while taking the engine apart... Any guesses... Anyone?
    Here is a link to the gasket kit I got. FEL Pro HS 26428 PT Head Gasket Set Engine Cylinder Head Gasket Set | eBay
    They are along the bottom of the picture. The description on the Fel-Pro box says O ring.
    Maybe transmission not sure but I think those leake if bad. Good luck could always email seller I just did it ill let you know what they say they are for if they get back!

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    injector O-rings?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Quote Originally Posted by walawala View Post
    injector O-rings?
    That makes sense

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Yes, Injector O rings. Who knew?
    I guess I'm going to change them too now.

I've decided to lap the valves. I wasn't going to but after looking closely at the seats of the exhaust ones... There kind of carboned up.

(I've had problems with oil burning (allot) on another car before. after lapping the valves. 89 Geo Metro 1l 3 cyl. 319k on it. I guess it needed rings too! )
    So After seeing the exhaust valves I think a little lapping can't hurt too much. If it does start blowing oil I'll plan ring job for a year out. This will give me time to figure out tronic tuning T7suite and get a 3" exhaust made up.

I hope to have the head ready and start/finish the timing chain, etc this weekend. Right now my car is in the neighbors driveway as they are using ours as access to there back yard for a new pool. I can't work on it over at there place. But the head is in the shop so I'm good to go there.
    Pictures; cyl 4 and 3 exhaust view.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Yesterday I lapped the valves and replaced the valve seals. It's almost ready to go back on the car. I had to get a few new tools for the lapping. I found the valve spring compressor at loan a tool at Canadian Tire wouldn't work because the valve springs are soo recessed. So I got one at Princess auto for $49.99. I also didn't have a bench grinder to clean the valves. I found a hardly used 8" for $35 on Kijiji! And lapping tool with lapping paste. (I had this stuff 15 years ago but must have lent it out or thrown it out.)
    Today I pushed the car over to my place and replaced the timing and balance chains et all. I installed the timing chain cover except for the one bolt that was stripped. (I'll grind it a new hex head for now. It will do until I can get to the junkyard for another bolt.)
    If all goes well.... I'll get the pan and the head back on tomorrow in the am. I'm waiting on my turbo kit... (est. Sept 23- Oct 8!!!) So that's express shipping.....
    Here are some photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images