Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

Wink head gasket replacement

Im doing a new head gasket because my car is leaking coolant and oil, more oil over coolant though from head gasket. I really need help with some of it because im not sure what to remove next, or what I have missed. Some help would be great!!!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Did you try this first?
    http://saabworld.net/f29/retightenin...m98-m01-27258/

Here are the instructions for the cylinder head removal and fitting: http://saabworld.net/attachments/f29...4-cylinder.pdf

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    The shop I took it to did try retightening them first and said it still has the problem. I am not going to pay them $1200 at least to fix this problem when I can do it myself for 150 with new tools and experience seeing as I want to do this for a living. Thank you so much for helping me out and for having such a great response time!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Unfortunately this thread is timely for me too.
    I'm pulling the head off my 04 9-5 2.3T today. I started a thread about my compression test...
    Thanks for posting that link Frank.
    Here is the best deal I found so far for all gaskets and valve seals. FEL PRO HS 26428 PT Head Gasket SET Engine Cylinder Head Gasket SET | eBay
    Could someone let me know if this kit is ok or not. (I know it is supposed to fit but am unaware of any aftermarket problems.)
    I'm going to do the timing and balance stuff at the same time. I'm getting it from 93184480 Genuine Saab - Timing And Balance Kit - Free Shipping
    eeuroparts doesn't offer a gasket kit with valve seals and O rings as far as I can find...

These repairs will put me over my $1000 SAAB dream price for this car. ($500 purchase + 250 breaks, etc= $800 into it so far...)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Did you try this first?
    http://saabworld.net/f29/retightenin...m98-m01-27258/

Here are the instructions for the cylinder head removal and fitting: http://saabworld.net/attachments/f29...4-cylinder.pdf

got to step 9 and im a little confused help please... good time for a lunch break.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    Unfortunately this thread is timely for me too.
    I'm pulling the head off my 04 9-5 2.3T today. I started a thread about my compression test...
    Thanks for posting that link Frank.
    Here is the best deal I found so far for all gaskets and valve seals. FEL PRO HS 26428 PT Head Gasket SET Engine Cylinder Head Gasket SET | eBay
    Could someone let me know if this kit is ok or not. (I know it is supposed to fit but am unaware of any aftermarket problems.)
    I'm going to do the timing and balance stuff at the same time. I'm getting it from 93184480 Genuine Saab - Timing And Balance Kit - Free Shipping
    eeuroparts doesn't offer a gasket kit with valve seals and O rings as far as I can find...

These repairs will put me over my $1000 SAAB dream price for this car. ($500 purchase + 250 breaks, etc= $800 into it so far...)
    Yeah I ended up just getting a genuine one from dealer when all auto stores around me said they don't have them in stock $10 more not to bad but surprises me that something like plastic can cost me $68

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I hear ya Tim. I'm having a heck of a time with the serpentine belt tensioner too. I just came in and looked again at the drawing and I think I'm trying to use the wrong hole to insert the 3.5mm allen key.... (Just checked again.... Huh it wont fit! Even tried a coat hanger wire (smaller than 3.5mm) There doesn't seem to be a hole on the other side...)
    I think #9 is an important step in the process as I can foresee it going TWANG! at some point. "Twang" usually means broken pieces and trying to re-compress a over sprung spring...
    all with bleeding fingers.
    As for trying the re-tightening... I think it's just time to bight the bullet on this engine and do it right. (363k and no maintenance records.... the timing chain sounds like its dragging down the road...)
    With the #'s I got from the compression test.... 35 dry and 110 wet on #1.... I'm just hoping its a head gasket...! And with the amount of blow by coming out of the oil filler neck... Its a good size hole in it. The piston top looks good though!
    Anyone with a idea about the belt tightener????

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Found it!!
    It's on the back close to the fire wall when pulled to loosen the belt. kind of like this O.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    Found it!!
    It's on the back close to the fire wall when pulled to loosen the belt. kind of like this O.

yeah was going to just say that im having biggest trouble with servo pump

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    hey did you find idler sprocket if so can you send me pic of it?