Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Tim I just loosened the tensioner after I got that silly allen key in.....(pita). By that I mean I took out all the bolts. 2 at the back of it, 1 underneath and behind it. (It's a real treat!) Then I couldn't figure out how it was held on to the generator.... so I took out the bolt at the bottom of the generator. (The long one that is allen from the wheel well.) Then I just pushed the whole assembly back toward the fire wall.
    That gave me enough to remove the head. BUT I have to still push it back 1 more cm to get the clearance to remove the timing cover. The tensioner pulley partly covers a bolt and the cover.
    I gave it another shove after I had the head off and I think It will move out of the way enough to get at the timing and balance stuff. If not it will just lift out of ware it pivots at the long bolt. (Big plastic zip tyes are great for holding things out of the way!)
    I'm looking for parts here in Ontario Canada. Crazy what the local stores want compared to what I can get the same parts for from eeuroparts.com or thesaabsite.com We are talking 4x the price! (And they have to order them in too!) I told a local store I frequent I'm a mailman, not a Dr!
    I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos but you may see my tensioner pushed hack in the one. The other should show the wedge I made the long bolt under the generator is not pictured but it's just to the L side of the motor.)
    I'll get a picture later. It's raining here now.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    My parts are ordered. All online from the USA.
    Gasket kit $122.59 Ebay
    Balance + Timing chain kit $ 206.77 Eeuroparts.com
    Total inc. Shipping, Tax, Duty= $329.36 (aprox 65% of the car's purchase price. )
    I now have aprox $700 in parts in this car.
    I'm still very happy with my investment!
    I couldn't have repaired my Saab's without the great help, information and support of this site and it's members!
    Thanks all!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    how much trouble did you have loosening the generator?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    None. I used my impact gun. I soaked everything with WD40 first.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    What a fun day. Not really. I lost my #40 Torex bit. Not really lost it but it fell down and dropped into a hole an the sub frame! That's going to be fun to fish out.
    That happened as I was trying to get the last bolt out of the timing chain cover. The bolt is stripped...! F! And it is a tough one to get at. Lower the motor.. no luck, raise the motor.. no luck! The only way I can get this one is with my #40 with the bit attachment to 3/8 drive. Then put a 8mm wrench on the bit and a 14mm wrench in the 8mm open end and pry hard! On my last attempt I had the Torex assembly wedged toward the bolt with my ball joint tuning fork to apply inward pressure while attempting to get the 14mm wrench on the 8mm.
    This is when I wish I had pulled the motor. Not yet though.
    I'm going to improvise. I'm going to reshape the head of the bolt to fit a 9/16 six sided short socket. Ha! I will use a Dremmell with a cutting wheel to do this. It doesn't matter if a socket falls into the once in a million hole in the sub-frame as I have 7 of these sockets. ( I don't have any idea how I have accumulated so many over the years.)
    If fitting the bolt head doesn't work I'll weld a socket on and go at it that way.

Tim here is a picture showing the spring thing on the injector plug. (Note; you push from the flat end and it opens up to remove the plug.)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    What a fun day. Not really. I lost my #40 Torex bit. Not really lost it but it fell down and dropped into a hole an the sub frame! That's going to be fun to fish out.
    That happened as I was trying to get the last bolt out of the timing chain cover. The bolt is stripped...! F! And it is a tough one to get at. Lower the motor.. no luck, raise the motor.. no luck! The only way I can get this one is with my #40 with the bit attachment to 3/8 drive. Then put a 8mm wrench on the bit and a 14mm wrench in the 8mm open end and pry hard! On my last attempt I had the Torex assembly wedged toward the bolt with my ball joint tuning fork to apply inward pressure while attempting to get the 14mm wrench on the 8mm.
    This is when I wish I had pulled the motor. Not yet though.
    I'm going to improvise. I'm going to reshape the head of the bolt to fit a 9/16 six sided short socket. Ha! I will use a Dremmell with a cutting wheel to do this. It doesn't matter if a socket falls into the once in a million hole in the sub-frame as I have 7 of these sockets. ( I don't have any idea how I have accumulated so many over the years.)
    If fitting the bolt head doesn't work I'll weld a socket on and go at it that way.

Tim here is a picture showing the spring thing on the injector plug. (Note; you push from the flat end and it opens up to remove the plug.)

Yeah I found that clip idk why I couldn't remember where it went because all the Other ones where on still but I had them covered with a towel to bad once I figured it out I dropped it into a secret passage that my magnet doesn't want to grab I also dropped a 13 mm socket down there not getting those out ever. All and all I'm almost done but exhaust manifold is giving me trouble going back on. I need to go get my torch from my mothers house because these stubborn bolts not coming out. Looks like I'm driving my dad to work Tuesday seeing as I have a job interview and my car isn't ready.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Turns out the old`màde in China` 12 sided short socket (that has been quite stripped form past projects.) fit enough to pound on the the bolt head. (I was thinking I have one chance at this...) Got it! Yea. The timing chain cover is now off and cleaned, washed and painted. It was very clean on the inside. Not so clean on the out...
    I also got the sump off today. Any guesses what I found in it...... Coffee like grinds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhh! (This is exactly what I found in the other car before our trip out east!) I now figure it has to be some type of carbon buildup.... What else could it be. (Bunnie food... It couldn't be...) As for gunk.... None! Very clean with very little burnt on sludge. The oil pickup was about 5% plugged with the coffee stuff. No more than 3 tiny metal filings...
    (I`m starting to think someone looked after this engine... At least for a long time at the beginning.)
    I mentioned the timing gears and chain look new... (BUT The crank timing mark was off by maybe 5 degrees!!!) Crazy! See the last picture.... That`s ware it was when the cams were set at there marks!!!!
    How did this motor run so well...
    I also got the Torex bit out of the sub frame. (That took a good 30 min fishing with a coat hanger then tried it with a magnet taped to the end. Success.)
    I think I broke a balance chain guide (see picture) while adjusting the motor after I had the cover loose but the motor not far enough to the left to get it out. I`m surprised at how little wear there is on these guides...

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Turns out the old`màde in China` 12 sided short socket (that has been quite stripped form past projects.) fit enough to pound on the the bolt head. (I was thinking I have one chance at this...) Got it! Yea. The timing chain cover is now off and cleaned, washed and painted. It was very clean on the inside. Not so clean on the out...
    I also got the sump off today. Any guesses what I found in it...... Coffee like grinds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhh! (This is exactly what I found in the other car before our trip out east!) I now figure it has to be some type of carbon buildup.... What else could it be. (Bunnie food... It couldn't be...) As for gunk.... None! Very clean with very little burnt on sludge. The oil pickup was about 5% plugged with the coffee stuff. No more than 3 tiny metal filings...
    (I`m starting to think someone looked after this engine... At least for a long time at the beginning.)
    I mentioned the timing gears and chain look new... (BUT The crank timing mark was off by maybe 5 degrees!!!) Crazy! See the last picture.... That`s ware it was when the cams were set at there marks!!!!
    How did this motor run so well...
    I also got the Torex bit out of the sub frame. (That took a good 30 min fishing with a coat hanger then tried it with a magnet taped to the end. Success.)
    I think I broke a balance chain guide (see picture) while adjusting the motor after I had the cover loose but the motor not far enough to the left to get it out. I`m surprised at how little wear there is on these guides...

Got mine all back together I don't think I missed anything but now it doesn't want to start. Not sure if maybe it's fuel or not getting spark or what.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Did you replace the fuse for the injectors? Something must be unplugged...

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

Angry

Did you replace the fuse for the injectors? Something must be unplugged...

I'm not sure what it is. timing chain and belt marks line up ground wire is connected. Not sure if this had red thing like the other ends

Attachment 10517

Attachment 10518

Attachment 10519

also the camshaft isn't touching lifters any ideas what may be causing it to most start