Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 S/C, '03 9-3 SE-C, '86 SPG

gearbox + CEL off and on

Greetings, all - first time poster here.

My 2003 9-3cv has been throwing the gearbox / check engine lights for about a year now. I have not completely resolved the issue, because I've been able to reset with my techII tool to satisfy the system for months at a time.

Within the past 4-6 weeks, it has been happening with greater frequency - probably 1-2 times per week. Same scenario: gbx+CEL lights come on and limp home mode kicks in. (Normally happens after driving for about 10-15 min, not at cold start, couple times after a hot start.)

TechII always displays the fault as '01 N/A' - guessing that means there is one fault, code not available (??).

I have a new neutral safety switch ready to install, but wanted some input on this before I dig in to be sure that I'm addressing the correct issue.

Thanks,

TT

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Sounds like a NSS issue to me - not sure what the message you are getting from the Tech2 is. Have you pulled the DTC from the trans and the engine?
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    sorry...DTC??

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Diagnostic Trouble Code - the fault code.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    ok, thank you. Is that different from the code I get on my Tech2? I am getting "N/A" on my tech2 for that fault whenever the gearbox light comes on. Wondering if a leaky vac line might be the culprit.

thanks,

TT

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3
    Hey good to know you have a tech 2' and hopefully by now you have figured out the solution to the problems you described. I'm having similar problems with my 2003 9-3. I'm in Greenville

Saab(s)

NSS

Quote Originally Posted by Ggnosons View Post
    Hey good to know you have a tech 2' and hopefully by now you have figured out the solution to the problems you described. I'm having similar problems with my 2003 9-3. I'm in Greenville
    Yes - it was the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) - replacing fixed my problem! BTW, check out the carolina saab club pg on FB. we try to have meet-ups about once a quarter in the upstate area at cars & coffee. Message me if you would like details...good luck.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3
    Very interesting, however I doubt that my 9-3 problem will be as simple as that. I am curious about the club that you mentioned in the local area, but that is it geared toward socialization or problem solving ? Perhaps you could send me a link?

Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 2.0 turbo
    im trying to post my saab for a part out but cant figure it out...its a 2000 saab 9-3 2.0 turbo...any one need anything or can help me post it up..

Saab(s)
    I am having a neutral mode when i put it in drive or if it goes in gear it only stays there for a few feet then goes back, the gearbox light and stabilization malfunction light also comes on . The DCT is P1743 any thoughts??? Please Help I am stranded.