Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sport Combi w/ Sport Pkg
    Thumbs Up:   0

Intermittent starting problem

[FONT=Times New Roman]A couple of weeks ago my 2006 9-5 barely made a partial turn with the starter and then just clicked. Effort from the starter, but no good. Jump start and it was fine.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I took the car to Autozone and they said the battery checked out fine, even under load no immediate problem with the battery. For the past 2 solid weeks everything has been fine and now yesterday and today more no-start.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I have used my volt meter several times to observe voltage before, during and after starting. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I am suspecting the starter itself now, but trying to brainstorm anything else.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Before starting I get a good 12.4-12.5 V reading. After starting I get an immediate 14.2 V[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]My question is with the starter, when it struggles to start, the voltage dips to about 8 V reading, other times when it spins freely and starts right up the voltage reading never seems to drop below 10.5 V. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Any other thoughts or volt meter tests appreciated.[/FONT]

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by brentcd; 05 September 2013 at 17:35.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Thumbs Up:   1
    I would check and clean the battery posts and attachments. A little dielectric grease on there cant hurt either.
    The cables may look like there attached well but the post may have corroded. (Common problem with my old Dodge Caravans.)

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks, here is a small update from today, still haven't solved anything
    The battery is a 875 CCA Checker Auto Battery, the car is an '06, so I'm assuming it's not more that a year or 2 old. I bought the car about 6 months ago.
    This morning I pulled the battery out, cleaned it up, inspected it's terminals as well as the cable ends and everything there looked like it should. Re-installed the cables with a bit of dilectric grease on each. Tomorrow morning I should have time to get the car in the air and look at the cables on the starter end of things
    Each time I have started it today I have held my volt meter to the battery terminals.
    Once, it turned over, but slowly, and the volt reading dropped to about 6 volts after several turns, but didn't start it.

0 Not allowed!

mdb99@bellsouth.net
    Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Thumbs Up:   7
    Pretty sure it is your battery no matter what the load test says.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I keep coming back to the battery, thinking through it logically. Hmmm, thanks

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks, went to an auto parts store and the battery did indeed test bad.

Replaced the battery and re tested it and their machine said the alternator isn't pushing the voltage it should - bad voltage regulator.

I'm still a little new to my 9-5, is the regulator still external and serviceable, or is this the dreaded alternator I hear terrible things about?

0 Not allowed!