Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    Confused... how could GM "own" the NG 9-5 but not also "own" the NG 9-3, both of them engineered by GM under their Saab subsidiary? If anything, the NG 9-5 is less "owned" by GM as they never finished their own design -- it was Spyker who carried it forward into the marketplace.

I'm guessing it's a decision based strictly upon sales. The 9-3 always outsold the 9-5 by a significant margin even though the newest 9-3 is still based upon a much older design than the newest 9-5... by nearly ten years.
    [FONT=verdana]Never met a SAAB I didn't like. [/FONT]

Joe
    Third Saab's a Charm Warren Demontague's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3SS 2.0T
    I wish I could get a new diesel Saab. I don't even care if it's still an old 9-3.
    2010 9-3SS 2.0T AT (Sold)
    2006 9-3SS Arc 5-speed (RIP)
    2004 9-3SS Linear 5-speed (RIP)

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    This whole thing is very confusing. What's the deal, Saab?
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    It is going to be an interesting ride. I look forward to seeing what "advances" they are coming up with in the electric car field.
    Really that's the way the world is going to have to go. It's effectively free fuel. Just park your new SAAB in the sun and drive all over town!
    I hope they keep up the quality and refinement. Most of all I want to see them keep the SPORT!
    I see too many electric/ hybrid cars that preform like they are wind up toys. This doesn't impress me.
    (At least once a week I get to ride in a 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I wouldn't want it. My old 3 cyl. 1L GEO Metro had more get up and go!)

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Solar energy has been proven over and over to not be enough to provide power for electric cars. There just isn't enough area over a car's body to make enough energy. Electric cars are a viable option only for short urban trips, not for long distance drives, and hence are not the way of the future. An electric car needs to be plugged into to the electric grid to be recharged, and do you think that energy is free? Where does it come from? Mostly from coal, nuclear, and hydroelectric plants, which are not without pollution and environmental damage. With an electric car one just gets the "feel good" effect that one's car isn't polluting as much, but what you are doing is shifting your pollution elsewhere; you are polluting at the power generation point. Increasingly we are relying into more environmentally friendly power sources, such as aeolic (wind power), solar, and to a lesser extent geo-thermal and wave/ocean power. None of these new, alternative power sources provide "free" energy, and none of them is 100% without pollution or environmental damage.

I can see hybrid cars as a solution for short and medium term. When you couple a high efficiency electric engine to a electric drivetrain, you will not have the range problems that a purely electric car has. Whether it's a hybrid car like the Prius where the gas and electric work side by side most of the time, or one like the Chevy Volt, where the gas engine kicks in once you have depleted your electric power, or other similar systems, a hybrid powertrain is good compromise for now. The battery manufacture is still a source of high pollution, but it's a viable alternative right now.

There is no magic answer for this modern problem yet, just lots of ideas.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by #1SAAB12-17-11 View Post
    Confused... how could GM "own" the NG 9-5 but not also "own" the NG 9-3, both of them engineered by GM under their Saab subsidiary? If anything, the NG 9-5 is less "owned" by GM as they never finished their own design -- it was Spyker who carried it forward into the marketplace.

I'm guessing it's a decision based strictly upon sales. The 9-3 always outsold the 9-5 by a significant margin even though the newest 9-3 is still based upon a much older design than the newest 9-5... by nearly ten years.
    Ever seen the Cadillac XTS and the Buick Lacrosse? Same platform. Lots of the same parts as the NG 9-5. GM funded the design because they wanted the platform for their new now out XTS and the Lacrosse. GM owns too much of the NG9-5 - just like the 9-4X which Saab built first before the SRX current generation. They are dead - never to be reproduced on that platform.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    From P4 West posted today:

Fifteen new Saab built

The newly built cars are so-called pre-series. Cars that you build to test that everything works in production.

Press chief Mikael Östlund says to P4 West that the production of the fifteen cars have gone well.

But so far there is no mass production, since Nevs still not finalized the negotiations with all the subcontractors required.

The aim is to start mass production in the fall and then be an upgraded version of the Saab 9-3 to be built.

Saab(s)
    '91 9kT16SA, '02 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    From P4 West posted today:

The aim is to start mass production in the fall and then be an upgraded version of the Saab 9-3 to be built.
    "In the fall" means this fall, correct?

And if it's going to be "upgraded version" of 9-3, then what about this platform being owned by GM?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by Timur View Post
    "In the fall" means this fall, correct?

And if it's going to be "upgraded version" of 9-3, then what about this platform being owned by GM?
    GM does not own that version 9-3 - the replacement was to be the phoenix platform which Jason Castrotia(sp) owns the rights to. Gm only owned the "rights" to the engine and electronics in the 9-3. As long as NEVS has sourced out good replacement parts - the car will be as good if not better then it was. Obviously it's also a 11 year old design which mainly had cosmetic updates. Proven yes - old yes - tired, maybe not.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    '91 9kT16SA, '02 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Well, this news is about NEVS starting production of "upgraded" 9-3SS, not the new PhoeniX-based car.

And I think it's very unlikely that mass-production of the upgraded 9-3SS is going to start this Fall. Today's news item at SU says that NEVS would probably build somewhere around 35-55 series-production cars this year, which does sound reasonable, especially if this car is going to have new drivetrain and electronics.