Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD

40k, now what?

OK, so my 2010 9-3 XWD just turned over 40k. She has been pretty relaible to own, but HAS had some failures. I had to replace an oxygen sensor (forget which at this time) front sway bar links, front and rear brake pads (looks like rotors are next) one load leveling shock was leaking so I replaced them BOTH with a pair from a wrecked 2011 9-3, now one of those is leaking. (looks like I will be buying those new this time) I replaced one headlight bulb only to have to replace the other bulb two weeks later. Tires were really worn down at 36k, so replaced with Conti DWS. And the latest item to be replaced was the battery. I have done all of my own oil changes, sometimes in my driveway, once at a friends and a few times at a neighborhood shop that charges me 20 bucks for using their lifts and guys. So with this all said, what else should I be considering on doing in terms of maintenance? As you can see I'm not afraid to try things at home, but if a job is big, I'll take it to my mechanic. I'd appreciate your views of what is REALLY important, and what to use or buy.

Thanks!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    I understand that the XWD fluid should be changed. We too had a lot of problems with ours, grounding it for two months, the problems were 1'st generated by a faulty diagnosis by the famed "Tech II" and then by the a-wipes in Trollhattan sending the wrong parts and giving bad advice. Yep, the throttle body went bad but they ended up changing the ECU but sent an FWD replacement then had them replace the whole dash cluster which caused multi gauge failures.

Back to the fluid. A few folks noted a recommendation memo from either Saab USA or Sweden to change the fluid at 30k. I had my dealer order it but they did so reluctantly and now have never called to tell me it was in. Perhaps they make more on repairs than preventative?
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero xwd
    Hi Tunnanxwd, would you mind telling me what is your dealers name? I too am from NJ and am relatively new to the saab world.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    If Fred Beans Saab in Doylestown PA isn't too far of a ride - bring it to me. I can fix it! I work there and am happy to work on new customer cars - especially when they request me @ drop off. I am always happy to come out and meet a customer as well and go over their car and concerns.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    We have been using Perrine in Cranbury ... out by Hightstown/Princeton area.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero xwd
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    If Fred Beans Saab in Doylestown PA isn't too far of a ride - bring it to me. I can fix it! I work there and am happy to work on new customer cars - especially when they request me @ drop off. I am always happy to come out and meet a customer as well and go over their car and concerns.
    Hello again, Do you still work with Saab? I am considering some changes in my 9-3 saab, a tune up to stage 1 offered by vtune. Now this would require a turbo change. He works in vermont which is a long way from me (Denville NJ) so I was thinking I could order the tune up from Brian and get it installed by you? Would that work?

Thxs
    Tom

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I do still work @ Fred Beans. I wold be more than happy to work with you and help you out. I sent you a PM too.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com