Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 9-3 SE

P0340 error code

Just bought 2002 SAAB 9-3 SE 4 cyl with known check engine light code P0340 pointing to camshaft sensor.
    The documentation suggests that there is no camshaft sensor and DIC (spark plugs acts like one).
    Car starts and runs very well. But I want to get to the root of the problem.
    If somebody had experience in the past with the similar issue please drop the line.
    How that can be fixed If I'd do it by myself, or what is the possible repair costs.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    NEEDS a Direct Ignition Cassette. May also be a good time to replace the spark plugs. USE ONLY OEM PARTS.

European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 9-3 SE
    Thank you.
    I looked online it seems to be easy replacement unless specific procedure and tools required.
    Have you done it?
    Another thing is the old one can be refurbished or fixed?
    What goes wrong with them?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutsaab93 View Post
    Thank you.
    I looked online it seems to be easy replacement unless specific procedure and tools required.
    Have you done it?
    Another thing is the old one can be refurbished or fixed?
    What goes wrong with them?
    Easy - VERY

Refurbish = rubbish.

Fails - the insides.

Have I done one - thousands.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    super easy. buy oem dic and plugs and some dielectric grease and in 15-30 mins you'll be all set.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    This is an extremely easy job. Just requires a torx head screw driver to undo four machine screws, and a flat head screw diver to help undo the electrical socket connection.

As Burns said, you really want to use OEM parts for this. When I was a poor college school student I bought one out of a salvage yard. It lasted about two months. I bought another out of a different salvage yard, it's lasted about five years. It really is a role of the dice if you get a good one of these from a salvage yard or a non-OEM brand. They fail internally, so you can't tell if they are good by looking at it. They also fail rather unexpectedly, so it also makes it harder to tell a good one from a bad one.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

I too am getting that code, along with P1312 and P1334 - I'm concerned because I can't take it to the dealer until the weekend as I need to use it for work. Am I causing more problems by continuing to drive it?

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    P1312 and P1334 are the most common codes for a bad DIC. As state above, the only fix is a new one as it breaks internally and can't be repaired. An OEM part is by far the best way to go here, as the aftermarket ones don't tend to last as long (it's a roll of the dice) and refurbished or used ones are of questionable/unknown quality.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

I am in California and trying to help out (read, insure the best parts are used) in getting an OEM DIC. I'm under a 30 day warranty and would like to get it fixed and back ASAP so that if if does not fix the problem I still have time... what is the best route to go to get the part. Thanks so much for your help. Maybe you can help me out on why my recently replaced battery, remote key will not program.... just asking

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    The Saab Site has OEM DICs. Click on the following link, you want the one that is "93 2000–2003 Direct Ignition Cassette" and what they call "OES" not the "AFT". It is listed for $369. http://www.thesaabsite.com/93old/Saa...n.html#linkbar

eEuroparts also has it, for $379. 55559955 Genuine SAAB - Direct Ignition Cassette (Black) - Free Shipping
    Free SaabWorld Stickers