Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Ireland - Éire

I'll be going to Ireland in September. A couple of nights in Dublin and 6 days touring the country. Any suggestions for things to see and do? I am going through some travel guides and websites but any personal recommendations and experiences are always welcome. And yes, having a pint of Guinness is already on the list.

It's the first time I am visiting this country. Can't believe I haven't visited before. It'll also be the first time I'll be driving a manual transmission in a RHD car. That should be interesting...!

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Sorry, not much help because I was in Dublin for only two days. I thought the place was filthy but later learned it was due to a garbage strike.

One good thing about RHD is the pedals are the same (brake on the left) and the shifting pattern is not reversed (1st gear is to the left). Stop by a Saab dealer!

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    You definitely have to go to the Arthur Guiness Brewery at Saint James' Gate, and drink the freshest Guiness there is.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    It's September 2nd.

Can Moosey go, too?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    strange car
    strange city
    sitting on a different side of the car
    shifting with your left hand
    --------------------------------------+
    interesting experience!

The rental car is a Toyota Auris and is a nice car. I just have a hard time getting used to the brake pedal. The slightest push with your little toe makes it slam on the brakes. But when someone drives my Saab, they think there is something wrong with the brakes because of much larger brake pedal travel. I definitely prefer the Saab feel but maybe that's because I am so used to it.

Shifting with a different hand definitely needs some time to get used to. Even when you're very familiar with a manual transmission, you still need to think when shifting.

Had an issue with the car rental from Avis. I made the reservation without CDW, assuming my VISA card would insure the car. It turned out they will cover CDW in most foreign, except 4 places: Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland. I didn't know Ireland was such a dangerous places for driving a car... Avis wanted way to much for CDW coverage so I canceled and booked a new reservation with Sixt right there at the airport. Made a reservation for a A mini-class (Ford Ka) and they gave me a C car. Impressed with their service and car so far.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    Oncoming cars take their half out of the middle. Watch the sheep.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Ireland has some of the highest limits for blood alcohol level in the world, so the high insurance might have something to do with that. I have rented only through Sixt here in Germany and have always been very impressed by the service. It seems they always give me an upgraded car when I make reservations.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    You definitely have to go to the Arthur Guiness Brewery at Saint James' Gate, and drink the freshest Guiness there is.
    Best advice ever...! It was a cloudy and rainy day today but the Guinness was good.

Can't wait to return this Auris at the airport tomorrow. The car is fine, even though it lacks personality. I just can't get used to those brakes.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    I could drink Guiness for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Count me as extremely jealous!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    Ireland has some of the highest limits for blood alcohol level in the world, so the high insurance might have something to do with that.
    I found this on TripAdvisor. You would think the same conditions apply in the UK.

Insurance - All car hire companies in Ireland offer standard insurances with the price of hiring the car. Optional additional cover to reduce or remove the excess will be sold locally. For people who normally rely on the CDW coverage provided by their credit card companies, it is important to know that Ireland is one of only a handful of countries (Israel, Jamaica for example) where this coverage will not be given. In Ireland you will have to purchase insurance on top of the very low rates you will be quoted by car hire companies and travel web sites. This insurance can be triple the daily rate of the most economical car, leading to sticker shock at the counter. The reason is simple: too many claims. While Ireland now has wonderful roads, the scenic routes can be narrow and drivers unfamiliar with driving on the left tend to bump into things. (Update June 2013).

Even when buying the "Super" CW Insurance it does NOT COVER tyres, wheels, mirrors, loss of keys and glass. Also note; the latest model autos, like Audi, do not even have a spare tyre. (like the car pictured below).

In addition, "full coverage" no longer means full coverage. Budget & Hertz, for example, do not include coverage for tyres even when you purchase full coverage insurance. This can leave you with a €150 tyre replacement bill when you thought you purchased the most coverage possible. ALWAYS read the 'fine print' carefully and ask if there is anything excluded from full coverage. In reality hiing a car in Ireland can be a "minefield" of surprises!!
    If CDW is included with the rates, they only cover in excess of 1.200 euro. Avis wanted to charge euro 36 for CDW per day in addition to the euro 30 per day rental rate.. Sixt total rental charge including CDW was about 30 euro per day.