Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    None

Currently in the market for a Saab 9-3 2004 -2005

Looking to purchase a 9-3 vector or arc within the next few weeks / months. Being new to the platform what things shall i look for when making a used purchase. I'm a subaru / vw enthusiast with a novice mechanical background. People tell me I should stay away from saab's do the the complex repair of these vehicles. Since I don't know anything figured i would come here and brush up. Any info you guys can provide would greatly be appreciated. I'm in the US New Jersey.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Usually people who claim Saab's are complicated drive Chevy's and think their cars are great.

Truth be told - a Saab is one of the easiest European cars to work on and diagnose. YES - there are things that require a factory scanner and software to program. The electricals like ANY OTHER foreign car are critical and vast. Failure rate is very predictable and easy to source used, new and some aftermarket.

I work in Doylestown, PA @ the Saab service center called Fred Beans. There are many independent shops around too which are capable of programing like a dealer.

I love my Saab's and will always own several - not just because I'm a Saab tech, but because I'm and enthusiast with taste
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhoms1 View Post
    People tell me I should stay away from saab's do the the complex repair of these vehicles. Since I don't know anything figured i would come here and brush up. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Usually people who claim Saab's are complicated drive Chevy's and think their cars are great.

Truth be told - a Saab is one of the easiest European cars to work on and diagnose. YES - there are things that require a factory scanner and software to program. The electricals like ANY OTHER foreign car are critical and vast. Failure rate is very predictable and easy to source used, new and some aftermarket.
    I just do routine maintenance but try to read the manual (WIS is the electronic version on CD for the 9-3SS) and try to understand what's going on. That said, I find that Saabs are more straightforward that Mercedes and sometimes not crammed so tightly together. (Water pump, excepted, ha ha)

I've had only one Saab at a time, five in total. I used to have a 2005 9-3. I am planning to look for a 2006-2007 9-3 SportCombi maybe next year or 2015. Some people think the 2003 9-3 has problems but others think that most of the problems for that first model year were eventually fixed by the original owner. I had my 2005 until earlier this year and spent under $100 for repairs (not including maintenance and brake pads) during the entire life of the car. The only reason that I don't have it anymore is that it rolled away into the side of a building while on a slope.

Saab(s)
    None
    Thank any advice on what to look for on used vehicles?