Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1996 900S 1999 9-3 2000 9-5 aero

New Member- Old Swap MY2000 Aero

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I just ran across this site while I was looking through my old haunts. I don't know if anyone around here wants to mentor a fool with his project but I could sure use the help. I bought a couple of 9-5 Aero's a few years ago with the intention of taking the motor out of the running sedan and putting it in the wagon which had slung a rod. I pulled the motor out of the wagon a couple of years ago and meanwhile got comfortable in the sedan. Well my better half said I need to haul the junk out out of the backyard and realized she was pointing at my beloved wagon.

So, it's time. The weather is nice and things are more like they are now than they ever were before, so I say let's git'er done. I can post particulars but I thought I should see if there is any interest in filling this thread out.

Naturally as the years passed I forgot a lot of what I knew about pulling the motor out but it all seems rather familiar as I look under the hoods.
    Name:  2013-09-25_17-12-15_246.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  44.4 KB

I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about all this mess.

Rob
    Last edited by Raab; 25 September 2013 at 22:31. Reason: add image

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Not sure what you are asking or even where you are?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Welcome! It's always interesting to follow a project like this so please share and post lots of pictures.

There is a PDF download for powertrain removal in the 9-5 tutorial forum so perhaps that will get you started. http://saabworld.net/f29/index-tutor...aab-9-5-a-261/

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Yes - where are you located?
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    1996 900S 1999 9-3 2000 9-5 aero
    Thanks guys! I'm in Kentucky. Those links are great Frank. I had the WIS but my laptop died last year and I never replaced it. I just use my wifes when I need something bigger than a phone.

I plan to start the pull later next week. I think I might have a bearing knocking on the bottom end. I have a standard bearing set. I also have a timing chain kit I am going to install. I don't have a lot of cash to throw at it at the moment but I'd like to do whatever I can while the engine is out if it needs to be done. I pressure washed the engine bay on the wagon this morning. Is there anything in particular I should do before starting the pull like warm it up good and drain the oil? I thought that might be good or throw some oil additive in there that will bust some crud? I dropped the pan and cleaned the screen back when I bought it. It wasn't too bad.

I'm stoked about this wagon. I really like the interior in the sedan better but it is getting pretty beat. It has the perforated seats and grey black interior which is sportier than the beige in the wagon but heck I'm 50 yrs old now. I should be able to appreciate beige.

And yes I will shoot lot's of pics. You will have to excuse the wreck my backyard is in. Having no garage keeps my life open for the world to see. Lol.

Rob