Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 95 ARC

2005 95 ARC - Starting issues

Odd one....SABAB dealer says only ever replaced and "ignition switch" (where key is placed) on one other SAAB in over ten years. So, here is what happens; the car will start without any effort...then right out of the blue..."click"..."click"...nada, nothing. Five trys, eight trys...then start, no problem! The dealer has replaced the starter motor and the battery. No issue with key fobs, batteries, etc... SO, before I replace the ignition switch....any ideas? Thanks

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Click from under the hood? Or in the cabin? Any message on the SID?
    You can take it apart and clean it...

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    sounds like the Neutral Safety Switch acting up. Try rocking the gear lever from Neutral to Park and try starting it again.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 95 ARC
    Under the hood...almost like a dead battery - occasional "click"...terminals clean and new battery installed. Flat spots on brushes on starter motor was thought to be the cause for "sometimes first turn...next time 12 turns....next three turns...next, back to first turn again"...very unpredictable and confusing for me and for SAAB. SID is clear, no message??? Are you suggesting the ignition switch be cleaned? I am going to have a new one installed as this is the only part left in the ignition system that is left to swap out? Thanks for the response F41!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 95 ARC
    Walawala...thanks, I will try that the next time I go to start the car. Is an auto, but can turn key and switch to N then turn it over - will try that successively and see if that solves issue! Cheers, G