Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1989 900S

Head change backwards in time

Blown head gasket on my 1989 900s also one valve bad. The head is the upgraded head W/O oil rail. However, I have the head from my 89 900t that has the oil rail. Can I install that head.
    I think on the newer head they drilled holes internally on the head. any advice. (the month the cars were manufactured is when they changed the oil rail I think, one car is 2/89 the other is 6/89.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    You can put any head on any car, no problem! The oil rails are viewed as less desirable, because it's hard to find parts for them. One thing to note is that the cam covers are not interchangeable between new and old heads. You must use the proper cam cover, as the oil rails will not seat properly otherwise.

What was wrong with the valve? Burnt?
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab(s)
    1989 900S
    Sorry for the big delay. Haven't got to the head yet.

The problem with the one on the car is that when I bought the car the owner had water glassed the head, from a blown head gasket. I was not expecting it too last 5yrs. The values are knocking rather hard. That started after I blew the head that was repaired with the water glass. I figured I would start with a newer( ha,ha) head.

Question, I tried my cam cover off my 89 and it does fit the depth that I measured of the one with the oil rail. So, can you explain further why you say they are different or not interchangeable.
    Thanks again will keep you updated.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    The covers for the early heads have bosses to hold the oiler tubes down and in place, later covers don't. If you put a later cover on a head with the oil rails, it will leave a gap between itself and the oil rails, causing them to perhaps work their way loose under vibration and high pressure. You may be able to put the early cover on a later head, but I've never had the opportunity to try.

Probably a good call not using the head that has been waterglassed. I have no experience with the stuff, but I hear it can be nasty to oiling systems (very abrasive) and thus probably damaging to the aluminum cam journals if it got up in there through an oilway.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab(s)
    1989 900S
    HEY GUYS ! Finally got around to doing the head on my 89 900S. The job was easier than i thought. found a rebuilt head on a 89 turbo in the scrap yard, it still had sharpy writing on the under part of the head. I ran a motor flush on my car before I started the job. Everything went like clock work, until I transport the newer one from the deck where I clean it up. In the travel one of the little metal guides fell out.( The one where the #9 cylinder head bolt goes) Didn't hear it fall on the carpet. I didn"t look at the bottom because The wooden dowel at the number 7 position and a bolt that was made in place of special tool where in place. Everything fit back together great. Long story short still smoking. Found the part that fell out later that night after feeling dejected. Wife ran over it with vacuum. I gave her a big kiss and hug and later took her to dinner. Now I know where things went wrong. Will redo in this March or after we move which comes first. If anyone think this isn't the problem let me know now. Having to drive my 88 SPG in the right snow, don't like that.