Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    1991 900 SE Turbo Convertible, 2000 Saab 9-5 3.0 Wagon

How to remove clutch slave w/no hyd.pressure?

I installed a used transmission in my 900T. It worked fine and I re-used the lightened flywheel, clutch assembly and slave because they were only a year old when the trans had failed. Since I put in the trans I had driven it about 300 miles with no problems and then it has been parked for the summer (for unrelated reasons), and when I went to pull it from the garage there was a big puddle of fluid that had leaked from the clutch slave.
    My question (and I have searched here) is how can I remove the slave with no pressure in the system? I have tried to bleed it to no avail.
    I had an idea to try and back-pressure the slave using an pump-style oil can with new fluid into the bleeder to see if the slave would move.
    Ideas?

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby

John Jardine
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1991 900S convert, 1985 900s 4door,1985 900 Turbo
    We had same problem an used a sawsaw with metal blade a cut slave unit in half. Make sure to clean out all chips. Have had no plobems since over 2 years. Also relace clutch at same time.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    I think a Saab tech once suggested this. Get a grease gun that fits the nipple and pump heavy grease into the slave it should compress it enough toget the spacer in (average gun does 1000+psi and the grease doesn't bleed past the seal. You obviously have to replace or at least clean and rebuild the slave after this method.... Apparently it's quick an easy and the bleed nipple is somewhat like a grease nipple so attaches straight on. You remove the flex like and put a bolt with Teflon tape in the hole before pumping the grease.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by s900t8v View Post
    I think a Saab tech once suggested this. Get a grease gun that fits the nipple and pump heavy grease into the slave it should compress it enough toget the spacer in (average gun does 1000+psi and the grease doesn't bleed past the seal. You obviously have to replace or at least clean and rebuild the slave after this method.... Apparently it's quick an easy and the bleed nipple is somewhat like a grease nipple so attaches straight on. You remove the flex like and put a bolt with Teflon tape in the hole before pumping the grease.
    Yes Ed. Good suggestion and it works quite well too. Helps if you have a grease gun with flexy nozzle. Works if you just put a clamp on the supple hose instead of the bolt.

Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    1991 900 SE Turbo Convertible, 2000 Saab 9-5 3.0 Wagon
    I got lucky today, after bleeding fluid through the slave cylinder I had a helper stab the clutch pedal while I sat poised to jam a big thick spark plug wire in the clutch fingers. First stab had pressure enough for me to squeeze it in and the fluid blew out from inside the s/c bellows. It is odd that it created any pressure at all because I had already tried building pressure by pumping the pedal a thousand times with no success, but after having sat an hour the first pump had enough to get it done. I loosened the flywheel bolts and slave bolts, removed the input shaft and it all came right out together. Install was equally easy and it works fine.
    The car has been sitting in the garage due to this problem and now the cooling fans are inop, and the srs, abs and brake warning lights are on at all times. As long as I'm at it I need to replace the battery, install an aftermarket radio and adjust the brake light switch.