Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Thanks for the offer Burnside42! Maybe...
    I just got a email today from the parts supplier I got the timing and balance chain kit form asking me for a parts list so they can get back to me with special pricing for those parts. (That's nice!)
    I followed up with an email when I found out that I was the reason the sprocket spun in the first place. (Not torquing the sprocket bolts!) I also asked if they have a special discount for being an Idiot. (I hope they do!)
    I also need 2 valve seals as the springs went south on them when I puled the valves. I wonder why...

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    What about a new head gasket? Should I use the new one I just used or not?
    I'm leaning toward using it... Here is why: The whole re-toque idea... I've never come across any head gasket that the car company said just re-torque it to fix oil and coolant leaks... And then if that doesn't work replace it...
    What are the thoughts from here?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    I honestly wouldn't reuse a head gasket no matter what. Why take a chance on all the hard work you have already done? Just my opinion. Good luck

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 9-5
    Great thread.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
    I honestly wouldn't reuse a head gasket no matter what. Why take a chance on all the hard work you have already done? Just my opinion. Good luck
    I know what you mean about all the work.... (I've got it down to about 3hrs to R&R a head gasket now.)

I've been googeling around and keep finding info about the multi layer steel gasket being fine to reuse if it's not damaged... (And the sites tend to be the "other car" forums that have turbo's. One guy was pushing 30lb boost and didn't have a problem...?)
    My gasket looks great!

I thought I'd see what the thoughts were on the SAAB forums. See if anyone has ever done it before.
    This is the first MLS gasket I have ever used. Everything before was the old aluminium sandwich of ...... Asbestos...? I know you can't use those again!
    In the past I've made other gaskets (never a head gasket) out of cereal boxes with great success. Those are a one shot deal too.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Here are some pictures of the head gasket as it is now, sitting on the block.
    I think it looks great.
    Pictures are the whole gasket then cylinders 4-1.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    What about my lifters? I have tried to get them apart to clean them but they have been winning the battle! They won't come apart by pulling on the inside plunger thing... One fell apart when I took it out of the car! I don't recall it being apart when I put it back together last time...
    I was googeling again and came across this: HOW TO REBUILD AND CLEAN HYDRAULIC LIFTERS VAG 1.8T
    (It's form an Audi forum... Or should that be VW forum...? Or... Are they the same car..?)
    Is there a right way to take apart and clean these things?
    Here are mine soaking in a bath of Varsol and break clean. They've been there all week.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90

Fun with a hammer and a lifter.

Well if you checked the link above to the Audi forum about taking apart hydraulic lifters you can probably guess what I just did...
    I took apart 8 of my lifters! With a hammer! And two pieces of soft pine and a soft towel/ rag. Here is the video: YouTube
    I found they still had oil in the centres. I think this is the spot ware they get stuck and start making noise. So getting the break clean in there is kind of important to get them to be quiet again. I put them back to soak in the Varsol and break clean I had them.
    I may get at cleaning them tomorrow. I only did the 8 exhaust lifters so far because I only have the one ice cream bucket with a lid for them to soak in. There actually in some type of order in there... The intake ones are on the bottom and they both start with #1 cylinder in the first row, L and R then 2nd row L and R, etc.
    I should probably warn people that this may ruin your lifters. So don't try this at home.
    Here is a picture of the first one I got apart.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    So I'm waiting for parts.... Here is what I did tonight because I've painted all the parts I want painted... And tomorrow is Halloween.
    Pumpkin carving with Squeaky! We had a great time. I had her draw the face with washable markers and I carved it. We both eviscerated it.
    Tomorrow should be a blast. Squeaky is going to go out dresses as a penguin. In a costume that we all made! Mom hand sewed the white felt on the belly of a big old black sweater and I cut out feet from old foam place mats. The place mats were yellow to start but we thought that orange was better so Squeaky painted them.
    I'll get some photos of the penguin tomorrow.
    On Monday Squeaky had the monthly cancer clinic visit ware we (Her and I because her mom doesn't like hanging out with a bunch of kids with cancer. It's a bit too tough for her to take. Understandable.) go into PMDU and have her weighed, measured and her blood is tested. This Monday she had a ECG and ECHO because it's one year since treatment ended. (That's a yearly thing.) We also do crafts and torture the full time clown Oile. (I'm mostly the one torturing Olie... It makes the staff look when we get talking and both of us get laughing. I always come up with some inappropriate thing that I've tripped over on line.)
    I thought this was kind of cool so I included a picture of Squeaky's heart. I'm told it looks great! We now only have to go to clinic for a check up ever 3 months! Yea!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Well I'm still waiting for parts. But I now have a big pile of candy to eat! Thanks to Squeaky! (And a wet and windy Halloween night.) We only had about 100 kids come by this year. That's down form 230+ last year. We ran out of candy last year. Not this year!
    I'll be filling my locker at work with snacks.
    Of course after Squeaky goes through and says yea or nay to her haul.
    Here is the penguin! And my lovely wife. Sorry about the quality of the pictures... My phone (BB Torch touch) got kind of damp while I trudged around in the rain all day. That makes all the pictures fuzzy for a day or two.
    I must say it usually takes really good pictures. Every photo and video posted here has been taken with this phone.